The Kutztown University Women's Center is part of the Division of Student Services and Campus Life and works with the University Health Center, University Counseling and Psychological Services Department, the Women's Consortium, the Women's Studies Minor program and the Commission on the Status of Women to plan programming related to women's and alternative lifestyle issues.
The Center's staff attempts to increase awareness of gender concerns and alternative lifestyle issues within the Kutztown University community. It organizes residence hall programs, candlelight vigils, flyers, speakers and panel discussions.
The Women's Center works with community and national organizations and interacts with other university Women's Centers. The Center has a library of books, periodicals and videos available to the public.
Phone calls and visits from individuals seeking advice, information, or direction are handled in an understanding and confidential manner. Referrals are made to university and community agencies.
The mission, vision, and philosophy of the Kutztown University Women's Center falls within the purview of the 11 Kutztown University statements of mission as articulated in the Kutztown University Undergraduate Bulletin 2003-2004 and specifically addresses the following statements:
1. Pursue a commitment to academic excellence.
2. Provide opportunities for all students to increase their appreciation and knowledge of the physical universe, of human society and cultural diversity, and of values, through general education, major study and co-curricular programming.
3. Provide a quality of campus life, which will encourage the growth of self-esteem, respect for the beliefs of others, and the open exchange of ideas.
4. Respond to the diverse needs of society by ensuring equal access to its educational programs and services without regard for race, gender, creed, age or national origin.
5. Serve as a center for cultural activities.
6. Provide leadership and support services for schools, businesses, industries, government, health and other appropriate agencies.