Creating and maintaining healthy relations between Kutztown University and its neighboring communities has been the goal of the Off Campus Advisory Council (OCAC). a standing committee of the Kutztown University Student Government Board since its official establishment in 2001. Today, this organization encourages open lines of communications plus welcomes active participation from University students, administrators, town residents and local officials. It also provides opportunities for students to gain real life leadership experience through civic and community service.
The Off Campus Advisory Council acts as the liaison, through the Office of Off-Campus Student Life, between the university students and community residents, to improve communication through cooperative programming and establish and maintain harmonious relationships between the two groups.
- To discuss relevant attitudes/issues brought to our attention by Kutztown students and community members.
- To seek change or a better solution to relevant attitudes/issues.
- To proactively plan programs that will strengthen relations between the University and community members.
- To promote student learning through participating in community life.
- To provide feedback to the office of Off-Campus Student Life regarding our effectiveness.
To ensure that OCAC meets it goals, the organization seeks opportunities to work closely with the Kutztown Community Partnership and the Northeast Berks Chamber of Commerce that will enhance and strengthen the quality of living in the community. In addition, monthly meetings are held for OCAC members and interested individuals who wish to discuss relevant issues and plan upcoming events in conjunction with its mission.