the Information Commons Area
- Policy Statement: The Information Commons Area of the
library maintains laptops for student use within the library.
Faculty who need laptops must borrow them through the
- Rationale: Students need to have internet access
throughout the library. Laptops are used to augment the supply
of desktop computers already installed. In addition, laptops
afford students the flexibility of being able to use a computer
anywhere in the building.
- The laptops are purchased with library funds and with
money from the student technology fee. Laptops are not part
of the program that replaces university computers every
- The standard KU computer lab image is installed on all
- All laptops also include the program Deep Freeze which
returns the computer to the original image every time the
computer is booted. Any files stored by students on the hard
drive are erased each time the computer boots up.
- Laptops borrowed from the Information Commons Area
cannot leave the building.
- Students must present a KU ID or KU Library card to
borrow a laptop
- Laptops are for student use only unless a non-student user has special permission from the Dean.
- KU Faculty, Staff, and Administration seeking to borrow a computer can place requests at the Information Commons desk (610-683-4800) during the Fall 2011 transition phase.
- Students borrowing laptops receive three items, a
laptop, a power cord, and an internet cable.
- Students are responsible for any damage incurred to the
laptop while it is charged to them.
<< Back to Computer Use Policies
<< Back to Library Policies
Page updated 28 August 2011