Registrar's Office
Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

Can I register over the WEB?

Yes, web registration is available to current KU students via

How are students notified when classes are cancelled?


For the spring and fall semesters, students are notified by the respective department that their class is cancelled.  For the summer sessions, students are contacted by phone a week before classes are scheduled to begin that their course is cancelled.


Can I register over the phone?

The only people who are permitted to register by the phone are part-time students (less than 12 credits). Part-time students can call their schedules in for the Spring and Fall semesters, only during regular registration. They must call on or after their scheduled appointment time.


Do I have to pay for my summer class in full when I register?

Yes, summer classes are due at the point of registration – we accept Master Card, Discover or American Express with a 2.65% non-refundable processing fee, or a check can be mailed to our office within 3 days.  Financial Aid requests MUST be processed in the Financial Aid office within 3 days of the registration to avoid losing any schedule.  The form is available online through the Financial Aid website.  Extreme special arrangements may be considered in the Bursar’s Office.


How long do I have to make up an incomplete?

You have ten weeks into the next semester. At that time your professor must submit a resolute grade for you. If you will not be able to complete the work in the ten weeks allotted, an extension of time may be requested. The request for the extension must be in writing from the professor to the Registrar.


How many credits can I transfer in from a 2 year community college?

For transfer students from a 2-year community college, we will transfer in as many credits that have comparable KU courses. This does not guarantee, however, that the courses will satisfy the student’s graduation requirements.  Students should consult their advisor to check on the applicability of their transfer credits.  For more information contact the Admissions/Transfer Programs Coordinator at (610) 683-4787.


Information by Topics

See the for a complete listing and further explanation.

Academic Probation

Students on Academic Probation during the current semester are allowed to register for no more than 15 credits for a subsequent semester without permission from the Advisement Center.

Academic Progress & Eligibility

See the current Undergraduate Bulletin.

Academic Warning

Students on Academic Warning should not select more than 15 credits without permission from the Advisement Center. Undergraduate Bulletin

Auditing a Course

Students may take courses “not for credit” provided there is room in the class after all registrations for credit have been handled. The student pays full fee for auditing and may audit no more than one course per semester. Under auditing privileges, students are not required to take examinations and may take such only with approval of the instructor. Once the student has enrolled “Not for Credit,” enrollment status may not be changed to “credit” except through special action by the Undergraduate Exceptions Committee upon receipt of approval from the department chairperson and the appropriate college dean. An “AUD” grade will be given in the course. This does not affect your grade point average. Undergraduate Bulletin

Conflicts in your schedule

The computerized system used for course selection is designed to avoid scheduling conflicts; however, please check your schedule.  It is recommended that you print a copy from the class schedule screen. 


Courses with numbers 2 through 6 as the first digit in the section number are offered at night.  Courses having section numbers beginning with the number 8 are offered off-campus or as distance education.  Check location notations in the course schedule booklet to avoid being erroneously enrolled in an off-campus course.  Courses having section numbers beginning with the number 9 are special arrangement courses and require additional paperwork to register.

Degree Requirements for Transfer Students

Students transferring from any institution of higher education to Kutztown University must:

  • Complete half of the minimum semester hour degree requirements in their major and minor field at Kutztown University.  The courses taken to fulfill this requirement must be at the upper level.  In some cases, in order to comply with this regulation, a student may be required to complete more than the total semester hours normally required for a degree. 
  • A minimum of thirty (30) credits must be completed at Kutztown University.
  • 30 of the final 45 credits must be completed at Kutztown University.

Drop/Add Period


This policy is the same for both Undergraduates and Graduates
The drop period will extend to the 6th day in a typical semester and the add period will extend to the 7th calendar day. Normally, this would mean the drop day extends to the first Saturday of the semester and the add day to the first Sunday.  These periods will be converted to percentages to apply to nontraditional semesters. The drop date occurs after 8.5% of the class days (excluding exams) and the add date is after 10% of the class days, adjusted to a whole number. This will allow students to attend at least one class period prior to the drop deadline; and, students to add a course after all course drops have been enacted.


FERPA (Family Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 as amended)

This federal law provides that institutions may not disclose information about students nor permit inspection of their records without their permission unless such action is covered by certain exceptions stipulated in the act.  The full provisions of the act are available for inspection in the Registrar´s Office and in the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs.

Final Exams Schedule

Financial Aid Eligibility Guidelines

See the current Undergraduate Bulletin.

Health & Physical Education Course Selection

It is recommended that students register for Health (HPD 110, HPD 115, HPD 116 and HPD 120) and Physical Education (HPD 011- HPD 095) in the same semester, but it is not required.

International Baccalaureate Credits

Kutztown University recognizes the academic achievement of International Baccalaureate (IB) students.  Therefore, the University awards college-level credit based on the following requirements:


IB Coursework                       Kutztown Acceptance Requirements

Higher Level Courses              accept scores of 5-7 (on a scale of 1 – 7)

Standard Level Courses          accept scores of 6-7 (on a scale of 1 – 7)

Theory of Knowledge              accept for 3 credits if student received IB diploma;

                                               no credits awarded if student only received IB certificate


Each subject will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis to determine the course equivalency at Kutztown University.



Students may apply for graduation, up to one year in advance, though  The deadline to receive applications for the current semester is the end of the second week of the academic semester.

Leave of Absence

See the current Undergraduate Bulletin

Note:  For students who live on campus, Leave of Absence forms may be picked up and should be returned to the Registrar’s Office for processing.  For students who live off-campus, the form is also available online at

Pass / Fail

Students having completed at least 30 semester hours of college-level work with at least a 2.75 average may take one course per semester on a pass/fail basis provided that no more than 18 semester hours in the undergraduate program (exclusive of   Physical Education) would be taken on that basis. If you wish to take a course pass/fail, you must secure a “Pass/Fail’ form from your Department Chairperson, complete it and have your Academic Advisor sign it.  THIS FORM MUST BE SUBMITTED TO THE REGISTRAR´S OFFICE BY THE END OF THE DROP/ADD PERIOD.  ADVISOR APPROVAL IS RECOMMENDED BUT NOT REQUIRED.  The pass/fail option only becomes legal when it is in the Registrar´s possession, and the student has met all conditions of the policy.   The pass/fail policy is found in The Key  and in the Undergraduate Bulletin.  Please be certain to read it carefully.


PLEASE NOTE:  If a course can be used as a concomitant course, yet will not be used as such, please write FREE ELECTIVE on the top of the form.  Pay particular attention to the following:  Only free electives and courses in general education designated in the Kutztown University Undergraduate Bulletin for each specific degree program as electives can be taken pass/fail.


Permission to Study at Another University/College


Students wishing to study at another college and transfer the credits earned to Kutztown University must obtain permission, in writing, prior to enrollment.  These forms are available in the Registrar’s Office and at  The college at which the student wishes to study must be a regionally accredited institution of higher education and grades earned in courses taken will not be included in determining a student grade point average.  However, a minimum grade of ‘C-‘ must be earned for the credit to be accepted at Kutztown University.


Q.P.A. or G.P.A

Quality Point Average or Grade Point Average (These terms are synonymous – different universities use these interchangeably.)


One way for students to bring up their grade point average (GPA) is to repeat courses in which they anticipate earning a higher grade.  (Note:  Repeats of passed courses (A, B, C, D) do not count toward the academic progress requirements for financial aid.)  The GPA in a student´s major program is based on all courses taken which the department allows to count toward major, regardless of whether the student uses the courses to fulfill major program requirements, as electives, as concomitant courses, or as General Education courses. 


Repeating a course



The Course Repeat Policy has been revised for undergraduate students.  Effective Fall 2009, students will be limited to a maximum total of six (6) repeats.  A single course can be repeated a maximum of three (3) times.  The most recent grade, regardless of whether it is higher or lower, will be the grade used for the grade point average (GPA) calculation.  When a student repeats a course, the credits for the course are to be counted only once in determining the GPA and the total credits needed for graduation.  The course must be repeated at Kutztown University to receive credit and the GPA adjustment.

Residency Policy



All first baccalaureate degree students will take at least 30 of their last 45 credits at Kutztown University and at least 50% of their major credits from Kutztown University.

Student Right to Know and Campus Security Act of 1990

Information on student graduation rates, as well as campus crime statistics and a description of policies relating to campus security are available on the Public Safety and Police Services website

"10 Year" Policy

The University welcomes the return to higher education of students who for various reasons did not complete their degrees.  Such students should be aware that courses taken in their major discipline ten years or more prior to the resumption of study might not count toward graduation, and for transfer students, the courses might not transfer. Such courses may no longer be considered current or required for the degree.  The Registrar determines the acceptability of these credits.  However, students may request the reevaluation of the Registrar´s decision by submitting a petition to the Undergraduate Exception Committee. 

Undergraduate Bulletin

Transfer Credits

Transfer credit will not be granted for any previous course(s) taken at Kutztown University and passed with a grade of ‘D’ or higher.  For more information, please check the website for transfer student information.

Veterans receiving GI Montgomery Bill educational benefits

All veterans and/or dependents receiving GI Montgomery Bill educational benefits are asked to stop in the Registrar´s Office during the course selection period to complete an APPLICATION FOR BENEFITS FORM.  Failure to complete the necessary form may result in unnecessary delays in processing educational benefits.  You are reminded that any change in credit hour load during any given semester or session must be reported to the VA Representative in the Registrar´s Office and to the VA.

Withdrawal from the University



Any student leaving the University prior to the end of any academic term must officially withdraw.  The student should contact the Registrar’s Office in Room 115 of the Stratton Administration Building to initiate the formal withdrawal process.  The date the Registrar’s Office receives the withdrawal form with the students’ original signature is the student’s official date of withdrawal from the University.  Please note that failure to complete the withdrawal process may result in failing grades in all courses being taken at the time of withdrawal.


If the student completes the withdrawal process with the Registrar’s Office prior to the end of the tenth week, the student will receive ‘W’ grades for all courses.  After the 10th week, there is no withdrawal from an individual course.  After the end of the 10th week of the semester, students will be held accountable for and graded on all coursework, exams, etc. assigned during the last 5 weeks of the semester.


Students may still withdraw from the university up until the last day of classes (not exam week) and will be awarded grades of 'W' in all their classes.


Please consult the Bursar’s webpage for the New Refund Policy which takes effect in Fall 2009 semester.

Withdrawal from Individual Courses



Courses dropped during the first week of the semester will not be recorded on the student’s permanent transcript unless the student withdraws from all his/her classes, in which case a grade of ‘W’ will be awarded.  Students may withdraw from a full semester of classes with a grade of ‘W’ between the 2nd and 10th week of the semester.  After the 10th week of the semester there is no withdrawal from an individual course.  After the end of the 10th week of the semester, students will be held accountable for and graded on all coursework, exams, etc. assigned during the last 5 weeks of the semester.