Below are the past recipients of KU Assessment Grants. Contact the Office of Assessment for more information about individual grant projects.
- Colleen Clemens (English), Kristina Fennelly (English), and Emily Cripe (Communication Studies): “Assessment of the WGS Introduction Course and Evaluation of Its Effectiveness in Meeting the Revised WGS Program Goals.”
- Mauricia John (Anthropology/Sociology) and Khori Newlander (Anthropology/Sociology): “Recruitment, Retention, and Persistence among International Students.”
- Yun Lu (Mathematics) and Brooks Emerick (Mathematics): “Assessment of Implementing Application Projects for the Calculus Sequence.”
- Nicole McClure (English), Todd Williams (English), Robert Kilker (English), and Sandra Leonard (English): “Assessment of SLO #1 of the English B.A.: A Continued Study of Program Goals.”
- Kathleen Stanfa (Special Education), Cynthia Stunkard (Special Education) - “Engaging School-Based Practitioners in Program Outcomes Measurement”
- Jennefer Gehringer (Elementary Education), Michelle White (Elementary Education) - “Youth Mental Health Awareness: Improving Pre-Service Teachers’ Understanding of their Students and their own Mental Health”
- Mary Eicholtz (Communication Studies) - “Assessment of the Effect of FYS on Student Retention and Academic Success”
- Christine Nunez (Modern Language), Dawn Slack (Modern Language), Lynn Kutch (Modern Language), Nancy Zimmerman (Modern Language) - “Formative Assessment of SLO 2 (Writing Proficiency) for BA Spanish and German Programs”
- Prof. Denise Bosler (Communication Design Department) - "Assessing Student Learning Goals in Communication Design to meet Industry Expectations and Needs"
- Dr. John Carelli and Dr. Tauqeer Hussain (Computer Science & Information Technology Department) - "Assessment of Student Outcomes in Computer Science and Information Technology"
- Dr. Emily Cripe (Communication Studies Department), Dr. Colleen Clemens and Dr. Kristina Fennelly (English Department) - "Assessment of the Newly-Designated Women's Gender, & Sexuality Studies Minor: A Continued Study of Goals, Objectives, & Courses"
- Dr. Stefani Gomez, Prof. Daniel Stafford and Prof. Susan Czerny (Rohrbach Library) - "From One Shot to a Double Shot: Assessing the Effectiveness of a Flipped Model of Information Literacy Instruction"
- Dr. Nicole Johnson (Special Education Department) - "Preparing Special Education Visual Impairment Students for Praxis II Certification Testing"
- Dr. Dawn Slack, Dr. Christine Coleman-Núñez, Dr. Lynn Kutch and Dr. Nancy Zimmerman (Modern Language Studies Department) - "The Relationship between Increased Authentic Communicative Feedback: A Longitudinal Study of Students' Oral Proficiency Outcomes"
- Dr. Yun (Amy) Lu (Mathematics Department) - "Assessing the Implementation of Mathematics Labs for Calculus Courses"
- Dr. Tauqeer Hussain (Computer Science & Information Technology Department) - "Assessing Student Outcomes for Computer Science and Information Technology Programs Through Capstone Courses"
- Dr. Richard Heineman (Biological Sciences Department) - "Narrative, Metaphor, and Biology Education"
- Dr. Bill Donner, Dr. Kim Shively, Dr. Jennifer Schlegel (Anthropology/Sociology Department) - "Ethnographic Study of Student Use of Rohrbach Library"
- Dr. Amy Lynch-Biniek and Dr. Robert (Moe) Folk (English Department) - "Improving Student Writing Outcomes Through Targeted Asynchronous Digital Professional Development"
- Dr. Jason Crocket (Anthropology & Sociology Department), Dr. Colleen Clemens (English Department), and Dr. Emily Cripe (Communication Studies Department) - "Pilot Study of Women's and Gender Studies Program Outcomes: Assessment of Student Outcomes in WGS010"
- Dr. Valerie Trollinger (Music Department) and Dr. Robert T. Sataloff, MD, DMA, FACS - "Incidence of Freshmen Hearing Loss in Music and Non-Music Majors: Continuation of Longitudinal Study on Hearing Loss & Academic Achievement"
- Dr. Robert Ryan (Psychology Department) - "Do Prompted Self-Explanations Improve Retention of Statistics Concepts?"
- Dr. Diane King, Dr. Anne Brawand (Special Education Department), Dr. Catherine McGeehan (Elementary Education Department), Dr. Michelle Sims (Library & Learning Technology), Dr. Mark Wolfmeyer (Secondary Education) - "College of Education Pre-Service Basic Skills Testing Support Program"
- Dr. Diane King, Dr. Anne Brawand (Special Education Department), Dr. Catherine McGeehan (Elementary Education Department), Dr. Michelle Sims (Library & Learning Technology), Dr. Mark Wolfmeyer (Secondary Education) - "College of Education Instructional Certification Tests Support Program"
- Ronald Grapsy (Communication Studies & Theatre Department) and Cara Cotellese (Electronic Media Department) - "Blended Learning Applied to the Basic Public Speaking Course: Production and Efficacy of Video Modules as Lecture Supplements to Maximize Classroom Efficiency and Student Outcomes"
- Robert (Moe) Folk (English Department) and Keith Massie (Communication Studies & Theatre Department) - "Pilot Study of the Impact of Social Media Analytics Software in Developing Students' Digital Critical Thinking and Analytical Skills"
- Ju Zhou (Mathematics Department) and Yun Lu (Mathematics Department) - "Assessment of the Effectiveness of Online Teaching in General Education"
- Yoon Mi Kim (Social Work Department) - "Predicting Student Retention with Learning Community, Social Integration and Scholastic Conscientiousness in the Social Work Program"
- Valerie Trollinger (Department of Music) - "Hearing Loss and the Effect on Academic Achievement in College Music Majors"
- Nancy Zimmerman (Department of Modern Language Studies) - "Using Modern Language BSED Students' Perspectives of Performance-based Assessments to Improve Learning and Teaching"
- Linda Day (Department of Computer Science) - "Assessing Program Outcomes in Computer Science using Value Rubrics"
- Therese A. Maskulka (Department of Business Administration) - "Assessing the BSBA Learning Objective: Conversant in Current Business Issues"
- Department of Computer Science - "Filling in the Gap: Teaching Novice Computer Science Students How to Solve Problems"
- Julie A. Palkendo (Department of Physical Sciences) - "Assessing the Implementation of a Chemistry & Biochemistry Learning Community for Freshmen Majors"
- Erin R. Kraal (Department of Physical Sciences) - "Integration of Original Scientific Research into an Introductory Level Course"
- Perry Y.C. Lee (Department of Mathematics) - "Assessment of Flipped/Inquiry-Based Learning Method Across Multi-sections of College Algebra"
- Cheryl Hochberg (Department of Fine Arts) - "Professional evaluators' assessments of the work of seniors in the Fine Arts program"
- Robyn Underwood and Melissa Gehret (Department of Biology), and Laura Scappaticci (Department of Academic Enrichment) - "The effect of tutoring on success in a General Education course"
- Dale Parson (Department of Computer Science) - "Work pattern data mining to assist students in software development practices"
- Patricia Pytleski (Department of English) - "Preparing English Education students for Praxis II Certification testing"
- Amanda Morris, Robert Folk, Kathleen Hartman, Kevin Mahoney, Carissa Pokorny-Golden, and Patricia Pytleski (Department of English) - "Pilot Study of the Impact of Directed Self Placement and ENG 022 on Student Success in General Education Courses and Retention at the University"
- Kevin McCloskey (Department of Communication Design) - "The Zine Project: Students Engaged in a National Illustration Event"
- Nancy Cardenuto (Department of Elementary Education) - "Assessing teacher candidates' professional growth during an after-school writers' workshop"
- Lynn Kutch (Department of Modern Language Studies) - "Aptitude of graphic novels to promote vocabulary acquisition and reading comprehension"
- Karen Rauch & Nancy Zimmerman (Department of Modern Language Studies) - "Assessing oral proficiency in Spanish: Measuring how well students perform authentic tasks"
- Carissa Pokorny-Golden (Department of English) - "Service Learning in English Education: Enhancing Pre-Service Teachers' Understanding of Literacy, Community and ESL Instruction"
- Lisa Weckerle, Jay Baglia, & Deryl Johnson (Department of Communication Studies & Theatre) - "Communication studies program goal assessment: Cultural diversity student learning outcome in SPE 120 and SPE 201"
- Helen Hamlet & Brian Wlazelek (Department of Counseling and Human Services) - "The developmental assessment of counseling skill acquisition in practicum and internship experiences"
- Eileen Hogan (Department of Business Administration) - "The trials and tribulations of assessing teamwork"
- Duane Crider, Frederick Garman, Dina Hayduk, Yongjae Kim & John Raffin (Department of Sport Management) - "General Education Outcomes Assessment for Health and Wellness"
- Jay Baglia, Mary Bock, Mary Eicholtz, Ron Grapsy & Joe Harasta (Department of Speech Communication and Theatre) - "Assessing Fundamentals of Oral Communication (SPE 010): Standardizing Efforts for Curriculum, Improving Our Teaching, Supporting Our Students"
- Joseph Jedwab and M. Ashraf Adeel (Department of Philosophy) - "Assessment of Critical Thinking for General Education"
- Valerie Trollinger (Department of Music) - "Assessment of Cross-Modal Perceptions of Music and Visual Art"
- Angelika Antoni, Carol Mapes, Wendy Ryan, Dan Aruscavage and Nancy Butler (Department of Biology) - "Assessment of Scientific Literacy among Kutztown University Students, Before and After Implementation of the New General Education Program"
- Paul Ache, Jennifer Gorman, Deborah Frantz, Deepak Khanna, & Celine Przydzial (Department of Mathematics) - "Developing and piloting an assessment plan for measuring student understanding in the calculus sequence"
- Yun Lu (Department of Mathematics) - "Assessing the use of online homework systems in mathematics education"
- Anita Meehan (Department of Psychology) - "Improving student career portfolios with assessment rubrics"
- Therese Maskulka (Department of Marketing) - "The dissemination of the experiential learning project development plan"
- Robert Flatley, Krista Prock, & Eloise Long (Rohrbach Library) - "Using a standardized test to assess information literacy skills of incoming freshmen"
- Maria Sanelli and Louis Rodriquez (Department of History) - "Kutztown University Frederick Douglass Institute Program Assessment"
- John T. Raffin (Department of Human Kinetics) - "Large Lecture General Education Health Classes: Evaluation of Core Assignment Data"
- Greg Shelley (Department of Psychology) - "Assessment of traditional and technology-based methods across two sections of introductory statistics"
- Willis Rapp & Valerie Trollinger (Department of Music) - "Assessment of music in General Education"
- Eloise Long & Phyllis Miller (Departments of Library Science and Elementary Education) - "Use of the curriculum map audit to improve the College of Education course alignment"
- Mahfuzul Khondaker & Pietro Toggia (Department of Criminal Justice) - "Assessment of student performance and results of the criminal justice comprehensive exams"
- Derek Mace (Department of Psychology) - "Assessing undergraduate research experience in psychological science"
- Gail Craig - "Assessing learning outcomes of undeclared students"
- Ruth Perkins, Krista Prock, & Karen Wanamaker (Rohrbach Library) - "Effective, Sustainable, practical Assessment: Designing an Assessment program for the Rohrbach Library based on an approach developed by the Association of Research Libraries"