The Residence Life and Housing & Dining Services of Kutztown University promotes a safe environment, which encourages responsible decision making by members of the community. Recognizing student rights and responsibilities, as well as the role of the department in fostering student development, the Visitation Policy of the Residence Life and Housing & Dining Services Office of Kutztown University consists of gradual levels of student responsibility based on class rank, education and individual preferences. Students can have a visitor pass created for their visitor by visiting the front desk of their residence hall. Non-KU visitors must complete the New Visitor Registration form before coming to campus (more details below).
Residence Life is committed to working toward creating a positive living experience for our resident students. In an effort to work with our students to promote a healthy and safe environment during the COVID-19 pandemic, there have been some alterations to the Visitation Policy for the 2020-2021 academic year. As things change with the pandemic, Residence Life reserves the right to modify the policy as needed. Students will be notified in advance of any changes.
- Each resident student may host up to two visitors at one time.
- A visitor is anyone who does not live in the room. A visitor to a room can be someone who lives in the hall but not in the room they are visiting.
- The only students who live outside a hall that are permitted to sign in as a visitor in the hall are other resident students. Off campus students, non-KU students, family members and friends who are not resident students, must wait in the lobby and are not permitted in student rooms or common area spaces within the halls beyond the desk lobby area. Exceptions will be made during such occurrences as students checking in and checking out.
- Visitors who live outside the hall must sign into the building 24/7.
- First-year students in their first semester can have overnight visitation on Friday and Saturday nights, regardless of their visitor's sex or gender identity as long as they are another resident student.
- All visitors (and resident students) must enter and exit the building by way of the main entrance.
- The host must escort visitors at all times while in the hall.
First-Year Students (first semester of on-campus residency only):
Upper-class Students (includes second semester freshmen with earned credits)
- Monday to Thursday from 9:00 am to 12:00 midnight
- First-Year Students in their first semester can have overnight visitation on Friday and Saturday nights, regardless of their visitor's sex or gender identity as long as the visitor is a resident student.
- Sunday from 9:00 am to Sunday 12:00 midnight
*After one semester of on-campus residency freshmen will follow the upperclassmen visitation assignments.
Weekdays and Weekends:
- 24-hour per day, 7 days a week Visitation
*Host students may only have overnight visitors (only other resident students) for three nights during a seven-day period
New Visitor Registration
Anyone who is not a KU student must complete the New Visitor Registration form prior to coming to campus. The form can be found at the link below:
In order to complete the form, the visitor must agree to the Kutztown University Visitation Policy which will be displayed after submitting the form. A verification code and link will then be sent to the e-mail address that was provided by the visitor in the form. The visitor should copy the verification code and paste it in the box that appears after clicking the link. The visitor will then be a registered visitor, and a visitor pass can be created for them. Once this process is complete, the visitor will not have to complete it again for future trips to campus. *Current KU students do not have to complete this form.
Pre-Registration (except in apartments)
Visitors arriving after 11:59 PM on Thursday, Friday, or Saturday evening must have a visitor pass created for them before that time.
The professional staff of the Residence Life and Housing & Dining Services may grant exceptions to certain aspects of the visitation policy; as well as reserves the right to restrict this policy.
Visitation Policy Terminology
Visitors must be accompanied by their host when moving about in the residence hall they are visiting.
First Year Student
Any first-time resident student with 30 or less earned credits.
The resident student living in the hall and/or room where the visitation option is being exercised.
Formal identification is required. Types of acceptable ID are: validated college ID, valid driver's license, valid ID with name and picture or name and address of presenter/visitor.
New Visitor Registration Form
The online-form every guest that is not a KU student must complete before arriving on-campus. Link to form:
Parental (Guardian) Permission Form
Students who are not of the age of majority must provide parental or legal guardian's approval for visitation rights covered in this policy. This form is no longer needed once a student turns 18.
The process by which any student who has a visitor or visitors arriving after 11:59 PM on a Thursday, Friday, or Saturday evening notifies the hall desk of the anticipated arrival of a guest. The information needed to pre-register includes visitor's name, type of ID, anticipated time of arrival, and anticipated length of stay.
The process by which host and visitor(s) are recognized as participating in visitation. Resident students, as hosts, are responsible for registering visitors at the hall desk during prescribed hours. Host and visitor report to the hall desk where the host presents their information and the visitor's ID. A digital visitation pass is created by the Desk Receptionist that can only be accessed at the front desk of any hall while they remain in the building in which they sign in. All visitors must check out at the front desk in which they signed into upon leaving.
A visitor is anyone who does not live in the room. A visitor to a room can be someone who lives in the hall but not in the room they are visiting.