The Department of Human Resources

Grievances & Arbitration


Labor agreements give unions and/or employees covered by them the right to file a grievance if they believe a provision of their labor agreement has been violated or misapplied, a disciplinary action is improper or if a position is not correctly classified.

Depending on the type of grievance there are different procedures for how it is processed and resolved. The process also varies according to the union's collective bargaining agreement or memoranda of understanding.


In the event a grievance cannot be resolved, some labor contracts allow for arbitration to settle the grievance. Check the appropriate collective bargaining agreement or memoranda of understanding for details on the arbitration process.