Student-owned Devices

  • What kind of computer should I buy?

    There are no specific recommendations, so it's really a matter of personal preference. Most students bring either a MacBook or Windows laptop. A few students use Linux, but be aware that on-campus support for Linux systems is limited.

    We do see some desktop computers, but space in a residence hall room is generally at a premium so most opt for a portable computer. 

    If you don't have a personal preference, you may want to contact someone in the academic department of your intended major to see if they have any recommendation.

  • What software do I need?

    Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) is installed on all classroom and lab computers, so you'll probably want to install your own copy for compatibility.

    That being said, you don't have to purchase Microsoft Office. All Kutztown University students are given a subscription to Microsoft Office 365. The Office 365 subscription lets students download free copies of Microsoft Office on multiple devices -- up to 5 PCs or Macs, 5 tablets and 5 smartphones. 

    In addition, all KU students have access to free web-based versions of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote -- no installation required. Although these web-based versions don't have all the functionality of the full versions, they are adequate for most documents students need to create.

    Office 365 is a subscription-based service, which means versions of Microsoft Office students download and install on their personal devices will no longer function after the student graduates or leaves the university.

  • Am I eligible for other discounted software or hardware?

    Yes. KU students may purchase software and hardware at a discount at the KU Campus Store or through a program with Journey Ed.

  • What kind of anti-virus should I have?

    It is the student's responsibility to keep his/her computer protected against viruses and updated with the last operating system patches. We don't require any specific anti-virus software, but make the following recommendations (all of which are FREE):

  • What if my computer gets infected with a virus?

    If your computer becomes infected with a virus or malware and you have trouble getting rid of it, you can take your computer to our ResNet help desk for assistance. ResNet help desk services are free to all students who reside on campus.

    Off-campus students are also able to take computers to our help desk, but there is a fee for that service.

    Occasionally our network monitoring devices will detect an infected/compromised device on the network. When this happens, the device is blocked from the Internet and the owner is notified in order to get the device cleaned/patched and back online as quickly as possible.

  • Does Kutztown University sell computers?

    The KU Campus Store does sell computers. Please contact the KU Campus Store for more information.

  • Can I use a laptop in class?

    Classroom management rules can vary from class to class, so be sure to check with your faculty instructor.

  • How do I secure my laptop?
    • Never leave your laptop unattended in a public space.
    • It's a good idea to use a laptop cable/lock to physically secure it to a piece of furniture in your residence hall room.
    • To secure your data, set a screen saver that requires a password.

    Many laptops offer hard drive encryption for added data security. For added peace of mind, some students have purchased and installed LoJack for Laptops, which can allow police to locate computers that have been reported stolen.

  • Where can I get my computer repaired or serviced?

    Students who live on campus can take their computer to the ResNet help desk. ResNet staff will try to assist residents with any type of technical problem. Here is a summary of services provided...

    For issues ResNet staff aren't able to resolve, they will provide next-step advice to students.

  • Is the ResNet help desk an authorized repair service center?

    No. ResNet won't perform any computer service that would jeopardize voiding an existing warranty.

  • Does the ResNet help desk charge a fee?

    The ResNet help desk is a free service for students who live on campus.

    Off-campus students are allowed to contact ResNet for assistance with personal devices, but are required to pay a fee ($19.00/half-hour) and services are subject to some limitations.

  • Can I use my own wireless router?

    No. Routers create private networks that won't work when connected to the ResNet network. In addition, student-owned wireless routers can interfere with university-provided Wi-Fi service and degrade service to other students.

  • How strong is the cellular phone service in the residence halls?

    It obviously varies depending on your carrier and device, but generally cellular service inside traditional-style residence halls isn't great unless you're near a window.

    In the Golden Bear Village apartment complexes, cellular service is generally good.

  • Will Google Chromecast work in my room?

    No. Chromecast is designed to work on a small home network where your TV and the controlling computer/tablet/phone are connected to a single wireless router. It's not designed to work on large, enterprise wireless networks and can't be supported.

  • Will Apple TV work in my room?

    Yes, Apple TV works on both the wired and wireless networks.

    If you're in any residential building other than Deatrick Hall, GB Village South or University Place, you'll need to register your Apple TV with ResNet before it will work. 

  • Will my Amazon Echo/Alexa work in my room?

    Yes, Amazon Echo devices do work.

    If you're in any residential building other than Deatrick Hall, GB Village South or University Place, you'll need to register your Amazon Echo with ResNet before it will work.