BearNet Secure: Secure Wi-Fi for the whole campus
Students living anywhere on campus have a secure Wi-Fi option available to them — BearNet Secure.
What is BearNet Secure?
BearNet Secure provides students, faculty and staff with a fully-encrypted Wi-Fi connection and is available on both north- and south-campus.
What is encryption? Why is it important?
Encryption is the process by which digital data is encoded/decoded to prevent unauthorized access. The primary purpose of encryption is to ensure the confidentiality of sensitive, digitally-transmitted data such as passwords and credit card numbers.
On a non-secure (i.e. “open”) Wi-Fi network, transmitted data is only encrypted when you access secure sites. On BearNet Secure, all transmitted data is encrypted.
Who should use BearNet Secure?
We strongly recommend that all students, faculty and staff use BearNet Secure on their devices that support it (i.e. laptops, desktop computers, mobile phones and tablets).
The ResNet WiFi open network should be used for smart TVs, game consoles, etc.
How do I use BearNet Secure?
The only requirement of BearNet Secure is that your device contain a small, security certificate profile. It only takes a minute or two to install the profile — the steps are listed here:
- Connect to any open network (e.g. ResNet WiFi, BearNet) and register your device if necessary.
- Point your browser to https://securewifi.kutztown.edu.
- Your device type should be detected. Click JoinNow.
- A small SecureW2 installer is downloaded. Open it if it doesn’t open automatically.
- You’ll be prompted for your KU username and password. (Note: Be sure to enter your KU username and NOT your entire KU email address.)
- The profile is automatically configured. When complete, if you're connected to ResNet WiFi or BearNet, the device will automatically switch to BearNet Secure (or you can manually switch to BearNet Secure).
Note: If you're not on campus when you install the certificate profile, you'll see a warning message that the device was unable to switch to BearNet Secure. No need to worry -- the device should connect automatically to BearNet Secure when you arrive on campus.
Once the security certificate profile is successfully installed, you will receive a confirmation email from email@example.com. Your device should prefer BearNet Secure over any open network.
More detailed instructions for installing the security certificate profile on specific devices are available below.