Getting Connected: WiFi setup in the residence halls
Internet connection setup in the residence halls
PCs, Macs, Mobile Devices
Step #1: Join "open" network (ResNet WiFi)
- Select "ResNet WiFi" from the list of available wireless networks. In Deatrick Hall, University Place and Golden Bear Village South, "ResNet WiFi" is followed by a zone name (e.g. ResNet WiFi - Zone A).
Step #2: Register your device (This step is NOT required in Deatrick Hall, University Place or Golden Bear Village South)
- Open a web browser (Chrome, Safari, etc.) and try to visit any site. If you're not redirected to the Network Registration Center or are unable to browse, go to http://resnetsupport.kutztown.edu to be automatically redirected to the registration page - (Need help?)
- Enter your username and password and click Login. Registrations expire at the end of the academic year.
Step #3: Join "secure" network (BearNet Secure)
We strongly recommend that all students join the BearNet Secure wireless network on devices that support it (i.e. laptops, desktop computers, mobile phones and tablets). Unlike ResNet WiFi, BearNet Secure is available on both north- and south-campus and offers a fully-encrypted WiFi connection.
BearNet Secure requires that you install a security certificate profile on your device. It only takes a minute or two to install the profile — the steps are listed here:
- After registering your device, your web browser should automatically open the secure Wi-Fi registration configuration page. Otherwise you can browse to securewifi.kutztown.edu.
- Your device type should be detected. Click JoinNow.
- A small SecureW2 installer is downloaded. Open it if it doesn’t open automatically.
- You’ll be prompted for your KU username and password during installation.
- The profile is automatically configured. When installation is complete, the device will connect to BearNet Secure (or you can manually switch to BearNet Secure).
Once the security certificate profile is installed, your device should prefer BearNet Secure over any open network.
For more information on BearNet Secure, click here.
All Other Devices
To connect your Xbox, Playstation, Apple TV, Smart TV, Amazon Echo, Amazon Firestick, Roku, etc. to the wireless network, follow the steps below. (Please note that Google Chromecast and Google Home devices, as well as most wireless printers, are designed for small home networks and will not work on ResNet WiFi. If you have a printer, we recommend using a standard USB printer cable directly connected to your computer.)
Step #1: Register your device (This step is NOT required in Deatrick Hall, University Place or Golden Bear Village South)
- Locate the MAC Address (or Wireless ID) of your device. You can usually find the MAC Address in your device's network settings. Check here for specific device instructions, or contact the ResNet Helpdesk for assistance.
- Once you've located the MAC Address, log into the Self-Registration Portal and add your device.
Step #2: Join "open" network (ResNet WiFi)
- When setting up your device, select "ResNet WiFi" from the list of available wireless networks. In Deatrick Hall, University Place and Golden Bear Village South, "ResNet WiFi" is followed by a zone name (e.g. ResNet WiFi - Zone A).