Bookmark and Share

Driver's License

KU Driver's License Quick Facts Handout (also see PennDOT Fact Sheet)

Students who want to drive a car while studying in the U.S. will either need to have an international driver's license, which is obtained from the home country, or a Pennsylvania State Driver's license. The international driver's license is usually only valid for one year.

The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) oversees the issuing and maintenance of driver's licenses in Pennsylvania. Persons who wish to get a driver's license will take a written exam for the learner's permit and then a road skills test in a car with a PennDOT employee to get a driver's license.  You must be at least 16 years old and residing/studying in the U.S. and Pennsylvania state for at least one year to apply for a learner's permit.

To obtain a driver's license, you will need the following:


DMV Permit Test Practice
SEVIS Driver's License Fact Sheet
PennDOT Driver's License Process
PennDOT Fact Sheet for F & J students