Bookmark and Share

Employment and Training Information for International Students

The primary purpose of being in the U.S. for F-1 and J-1 students is to attend college full-time; however, it is possible to work while attending KU. There are different employment restrictions and rules based on certain factors such as academic program requirements and finances, for example. In general, most F-1 and J-1 students can only work on campus, part-time during the semester and full-time during official breaks before they complete their degree program. F-1 and J-1 students who work in the U.S. must have a social security number and must pay taxes. Review the pages below for more information. To avoid falling out of status and being terminated, you must comply with the regulations for employment for F-1 and J-1 students. You should consult with the International Student Advisor as soon as you are ready to look for a job or apply for CPT, OPT, or Academic Training.

On Campus Employment (F-1 & J-1)

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) (F-1)

Optional Practical Training (OPT) (F-1)

STEM OPT Extension

Academic Training (J-1)

Off Campus Employment (Economic Hardship) (F-1 & J-1)