Bookmark and Share

Off Campus Employment

An F-1 student who has maintained F-1 status for an academic year and is in good academic standing may apply for "off-campus employment based on economic hardship." Documentation would have to show that part-time employment opportunities through on-campus employment were otherwise insufficient. Economic hardship refers to the financial problems caused by unforeseen circumstances beyond the student's control which arose after obtaining F-1 status. These financial problems may be the result of a student losing a graduate assistantship, the death of a financial sponsor, inflation in the home country causing the devaluation of currency or exchange rate, etc. If the financial problems are too great, it may not be possible to solve the problem through part-time employment.

Students are required to make a good faith effort to locate employment on campus before applying for off-campus employment based on economic hardship. If the economic hardship clause applies to your situation, please meet with the International Student Advisor to request a recommendation for authorization to engage in off-campus employment. Students may not work off-campus without special authorization from USCIS; unauthorized off-campus employment will result in termination of status. Please note, a student who is authorized to engage in off-campus employment may still only work part-time during the semester, and must continue to maintain a full-time course load. Students authorized for off-campus employment are permitted to work full-time during regular university breaks.

All off-campus employment must be approved by USCIS prior to job search and job placement.