Bookmark and Share

Expired and Lost Documents

Part of maintaining your F-1/J-1 student status is keeping all of your documents safe and current, including the I-20, DS-2019, I-94, visa, and passport. In addition to keeping the original documents safe, it is a good idea to keep copies of everything to help speed up the process of recovering lost, stolen, or expired documents.

If your documents are stolen, file a police report and contact the embassy or consulate of your home country immediately. Inform the International Office as soon as possible.

Follow the instructions below to replace or renew your documents.


If your I-20 or DS-2019 is lost or stolen, the International Office can easily print a new copy. Contact the International Student Advisor.


Keep track of the original I-94 card that you were issued if you arrived before the transition to the electronic I-94. You will surrender this card when you leave the U.S. and you get a new electronic entry record when you return to the U.S.

If you did not receive a hardcopy I-94 when you arrived, you can simply print a copy of the electronic I-94 whenever you need it from here for I-94 retrieval tips.

If you lost the paper I-94, you will need to follow these steps to get a new one:

1) Complete the I-102 Form.
2) Obtain a money order for $320 made payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security, 75 Lower Welden Street, St. Albans, VT 05479-0001. The only way this fee is not required is if the I-94 is filled out incorrectly at no fault of your own.
3) Copy your passport, visa, and I-20 or DS-2019. Provide a copy of the I-94 if you have one. If your I-94 was stolen, you will need a copy of the police report. If you need a name change on your I-94, please write a brief letter explaining what you would like the I-94 to show.
4) Take these items to the International Office. We will send it to the Vermont USCIS Center as certified mail.
5) You should receive a new I-94 card within sixty to ninety days.


If you plan to travel outside of the U.S. and your visa is expired or will expire while you're away, please review the information on the Visa webpage for how to get a new visa.

If your visa was lost or stolen, report it via fax to the issuing embassy post abroad. Visas cannot be replaced while in the United States. When you return home or travel outside of the U.S., you can apply for a replacement visa.


Your passport should always be valid for at least six months into the future. Please contact your local embassy or consulate to replace or renew your passport. If your passport will expire and you plan to return home, renew your passport at home. If you will remain in the U.S., please contact your country's embassy or consulate for more details. Find the nearest U.S.-based consulate or embassy from your country of citizenship.

If your unexpired visa is in the expired passport, travel with both the expired and the new passports.