Bookmark and Share


For travel outside of the U.S., you will need valid travel documents with current signatures. Travel within the U.S. does not require these items.

Remember - you will need a valid visa to re-enter the U.S. If your visa is expired or will expire while you're out of the country but you have maintained good F-1 or J-1 student status, review the information on the visa webpage to learn how to renew your visa.

For travel to Mexico, Canada, or the Caribbean, except Cuba, your visa will be automatically revalidated when you travel to any of these destinations for less than 30 days and return to the U.S. Automatic visa revalidation does not apply to citizens of Cuba, Sudan, Iran, & Syria. If you traveled to the U.S. before the I-94 card was automated and you have an expired or single entry visa, do not surrender the paper I-94 card when traveling to these locations. It will serve as a substitute for your expired visa.

Required travel documents:

  • Passport valid for at least six months into the future
  • Visa, valid for multiple entries and not expired
  • Form I-20 or DS-2019 with current signature from International Student Advisor 
    • I-20 - signed within a year of return date
    • DS-2019 - signed within 6 months of return date

It is also recommended that you travel with the following documents:

  • Evidence of financial support
  • KU transcript and current course schedule
  • All previously issued I-20 forms
  • OPT authorization and letter from employer with dates and terms of employment (OPT only)

Reliable Resources for Travel:

FAQ for F non-immigrants: Entry and Exit

Websites of U.S. Embassies & Consulates

Student Visa Validity Following a Break in Studies

Visa Wait Times

Travel to Canada & Mexico