Student Visa Requirements
Students coming to the U.S. to study will need a valid student visa to enter the U.S. Degree-seeking students will get an F-1 non-immigrant student visa. Short-term exchange students will get an Exchange Student Visa (J-1). International students are also required to register with the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP). The information on this page is here for a general reference. Requirements and regulations can change, so you should read and follow the instructions on the SEVIS website and the Department of State website prior to paying the SEVIS fee and applying for a visa.
STEPS TO GET A STUDENT VISA TO STUDY AT KUTZTOWN UNIVERSITY
- Pay Advanced Registration Deposit (ARD). (Graduate students must confirm intent to enroll in [MyKU].)
- Complete the I-20 Application (PDF) for F-1 students or DS-2019 Application (PDF) for Exchange Students and provide required documentation of the
to finance educational costs. View required funding amounts. ability
- Choose the
document shipping method - express shipping or regular mail. preferred
- Receive I-20 (F-1) or DS-2019 (J-1) from Kutztown University.
Pay the SEVIS fee.
SEVIS I-901 Fee Procedures
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) charges a fee of $350 for F-1 students and $220 for Exchange Students (J-1) to use the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). Before you apply for your student visa to gain entry into the United States, you must pay the SEVIS fee (Form I-901). This fee may be paid by the student or another person (friend or family). The SEVIS fee must be paid in U.S. dollars using one of the approved methods.
You will need your Form I-20 or DS-2019 to pay the SEVIS fee. Please review your Form for accuracy, including your name, program of study, and program begin and end dates. Notify us immediately if there are errors
PAYMENT OPTIONS AND PROCEDURES
The school code for Kutztown University is PHI214F00311000 for F-1 students.
The program code for Kutztown University is P-1-05456 for J-1 students.
Please select one of the following payment options and follow the instructions to pay the SEVIS fee. Online is the preferred payment option.
- Complete and submit the Form I-901, which you will find online at www.fmjfee.com. Read and follow the instructions on the website.
- Pay the fee using Visa, MasterCard, or American Express.
- Print the payment confirmation and keep it with the documents that you will take to your visa interview.
- Print and complete the Form I-901, which you can get online. Read and follow the instructions on the form.
- Send the I-901 form with your check or money order to the address listed in the Form I-901 instructions.
confirmationof payment from www.fmjfee.com.
Contact the I-901 Helpline for assistance: +1 703-603-3400.
Citizens of Cameroon, Ghana, Kenya, and Nigeria: You must complete the paper I-901 form and pay with a Western Union money transfer, cashier’s check, or money order.
Receipt of Payment - Keep the printed I-901 Payment Confirmation of Payment. You will need it later for proof of payment of the SEVIS fee. All receipts must be confirmed (by Internet) AT LEAST three U.S. government working days before your visa application interview.
Citizens of Canada (only)
- No visa or visa application is required of Canadian citizens.
- Pay the SEVIS fee as explained above and keep the receipt.
- Present the SEVIS I-901 Payment Confirmation at a U.S. Port of Entry.
6. Apply for a student visa and schedule visa interview.
Student Visa Application Procedures
You can apply for a visa 72 hours (3 days) after you pay the SEVIS I-901 fee.
Contact your local U.S. Consulate or Embassy to ask how to apply for a student visa. View a list of U.S. embassies and consulates.
Follow the U.S. Embassy/Consulate's instructions about how to apply for your student visa and schedule an interview. It is important to apply for your student visa as far in advance as possible since there may be a waiting period for an interview appointment. You cannot apply for your
visamore than 120 days before the program start date listed on the I-20/DS-2019 and you cannot travel to the U.S. more than 30 days before the program start date. Do not make any non-refundable travel plans until you receive your visa.
WHAT TO BRING TO THE INTERVIEW
- A passport valid for at least six months beyond your period of stay in the U.S. Please be sure there are at least three empty pages in your passport. If needed, request additional pages prior to your visa interview.
- Form I-20 (sign the form under Item 11) or Form DS-2019 (sign the form at the bottom of page 1)
- KU acceptance letter
- Form DS-160 Nonimmigrant Visa Application form confirmation page
- Receipt for the Form DS-160 Nonimmigrant Visa Application fee payment
- Photo – you must bring one printed photo if your photo upload fails; photo requirements are listed online at travel.state.gov.
- I-901 Payment Confirmation printed from the www.fmjfee.com website for confirmation of payment of the SEVIS fee
- Financial evidence that shows you have sufficient funds to cover your tuition and living expenses during the period you intend to study in the U.S.
- Any information that proves that you will return to your home country after finishing your studies in the U.S. This may include proof of property, family, or other ties to your community.
Remember to remain calm and answer all the Visa Officer’s questions openly and honestly.
Some countries may or may not be required to pay the
visaissuance fee. Please refer to the information on the U.S. Department of State website to determine whether you are required to pay the visaissuance fee.
7. Attend Student Visa Information Session during New Student Orientation.
8. Know rules and regulations that affect your student visa status, which you can find on the Current International Student website.