What to bring to campus

Review items you should bring to campus, plan to purchase when you arrive, and things you should leave at home.

You may travel a great distance to get to KU and the U.S. and you might not want to travel with everything you will need at KU. The Office of International Admissions & Services provides several options for you to get the things you will need. You can bring items in your luggage, ship items to the Office of International Admissions & Services before you arrive, or purchase items on the shopping trip planned during orientation.  

KU residence halls have a bed, desk, chair, and closet for every student. You must bring or purchase school supplies and any other items you want for your residence hall room. 

Items to bring from home

You will be responsible for traveling with the proper documents and should consider bringing a few other items from home, listed below.

  • Travel Documents
    All of these documents should be easy to find in a carry-on bag; keep copies in your checked luggage:
    • Passport
    • Visa
    • I-20 or DS-2019
    • SEVIS I-901 Fee Confirmation of Payment
    • Financial Documents
    • KU Acceptance Letter
  • Official Health Records
    • Official documentation of vaccinations with a physician's signature
    • Proof of health insurance
  • Outlet and Plug Converter

    Purchase an electrical outlet and plug converter for the U.S. from your home country to use with any electric device you bring. The U.S. operates on 120 V and has type A and type B electrical plugs.

  • Laptop

    If you have your own laptop, you can bring it and use it on campus. There is wired internet access in the residence hall rooms and wireless access in the lounges and campus buildings. You can also purchase a computer on campus or at the store during the big shopping trip.

    You are not required to bring your own computer; there are many computer labs with printers on campus for you to use and some are available 24 hours a day. 

  • Camera
    You will want to bring a camera if you plan to participate in any field trips or travel on your own.
  • International Driver's License
    If you plan to rent or drive a car while in the U.S., you should get an international driver's license in your home country prior to travelling to KU. International driver's licenses are valid for one year.

    You may apply for a Pennsylvania State Driver's License after you arrive if you will study at KU for at least one year. 
  • Credit Card and U.S. Currency
    Plan to have multiple ways to access your money.

    Bring a credit card in case you have to quickly pay any fees at the Port of Entry or encounter other unexpected expenses.

    We also recommend that you travel with at least $100 of U.S. currency to use in places where credit cards are not accepted. 
  • Medicine, Glasses, Contacts
    Bring any medications you use every day, glasses, and/or contact lenses. Also consider bringing any medication you would take to relieve pain or a minor cold or illness, in case you happen to get sick before the first week of class when the Health and Wellness Center is open regularly.

Items to ship to KU before you travel or purchase after you arrive

We will have a shopping trip to a large department store during the orientation, where you will be able to buy almost anything you need. Review the shopping list to view a list of items that students commonly use in their residence halls.

  • Bedding and Towels
    Our residence hall rooms are completely empty when you move in, so you can decorate your space as you like. This includes choosing your own linens. We strongly recommend that you purchase bedding and towels before you arrive at KU. You can pack them in your suitcase or ship them to the Office of International Admissions and Services. If you purchase these items in advance, you will have bedding and towels as soon as you check in to their residence hall room. We partner with Residence Hall Linens to offer quality bedding and other products at a reasonable price.

    SHIPPING ADDRESS (please label all boxes with your full name):
    Kutztown University
    Office of International Admissions & Services
    Boxwood House
    15200 Kutztown Road
    Kutztown, PA 19530
  • Personal Items
    This is a suggested shopping list and is not comprehensive. 

    • Snacks
    • Drinks
    • Shower/Personal care items (shampoo, soap, toothpaste, etc.)
    • Tissues
    • Toilet tissue (University Place, Dixon and Golden Bear Apartment residents must provide their own)
    • Bedding for extra-long twin bed (2 sets)
    • Linens, pillow, blanket, bedspread
    • Towels and washcloths (2-3 of each)
    • Soap dish
    • Shower tote/caddy/basket
    • Personal appliances such as a hairdryer, curling iron, etc.
    • Shower shoes/ flip-flops
    • Laundry basket or bag
    • Detergent, bleach, fabric softener, etc.
    • Auto shut-off iron (may be used only in the laundry/ironing room)
    • Small ironing board
    • Sewing Kit
    • Small personal fan
    • Wastebasket
    • Clothing Hangers
    • Power strip
    • Ethernet cord for internet connection
    • Alarm clock
    • Cup, mug, bowl, plate
    • Study lamp (no halogen light bulbs)
    • CFL light bulbs for lamps
    • Desk/class supplies (pens, pencils, highlighters, notebooks, tape, stapler, paper clips, calculator, scissors, ruler, etc.)
    • Flash light
    • Light housekeeping items (dust cloth, sponge, paper towels, multipurpose cleaner, dish soap, etc.)
    • Storage bin (under-the-bed style recommended)
    • Plants and small decorative items
  • Items to share with your roommate

    Here is a list of items that you and your roommate can share; we recommend contacting your roommate to decide who will bring which items to campus. 

    • Memo board for your door
    • Touch-tone phone (Note: cordless phones cause a multitude of problems)
      • Please note: long distance service is not available from student rooms.
    • Box Fan/Window Fan
    • Thermostatically controlled hot pot
    • Auto-shutoff coffee maker
    • Refrigerator (it may not exceed 3.2 cubic feet and 1.4 amps) or MicroFridge (one per room)
      • MicroFridge is a combination refrigerator/microwave that students rent from the university. No other microwaves are allowed in residence hall rooms.
    • Floor lamp (no overhead lighting in University Place; you will need one)
    • Rug and curtains if desired- all windows have blinds
    • Small TV stand
    • Hand-vacuum, dust pan, broom
    • Television
  • Prohibited Items

    Due to fire safety regulations, cooking must be confined to the kitchen in your residence hall. The only appliances that may be housed or used in your room for food preparation are a thermostatically controlled hot pot, thermostatically controlled popcorn popper, auto shut-off coffee maker and a MicroFridge (one per room).

    Do not bring these items with you or purchase them while you're living on campus

    • Microwave oven (unless you rent a MicroFridge)
    • Toaster Oven, toaster, or griddle
    • Grills (indoor/outdoor/ George Foreman type)
    • Hot plate
    • Heating coil
    • Immersion coil
    • Electric frying pan
    • Rice cooker
    • Halogen Lamps, light bulbs, neon or string lights
    • Air conditioner
    • Space heater
    • Animals (other than "toothless" fish)
    • Water bed
    • Candles/ incense
    • Alcohol or Alcohol Bottles (not even for decoration)
    • Bed risers or lifts
    • Reed Diffusers
    • Drapery