Other Forms and Information

On this page you will find additional resources to help maintain your status and access benefits associated with your F-1 visa status.

  • SEVIS Transfer

    If you need to transfer from KU to another U.S. college or university, your SEVIS record must also be transferred to the new institution. You must present an acceptance letter from the school to which you are planning to transfer and any forms required by that school for the Designated School Official to transfer your SEVIS record. Contact International Student Services if you need to transfer your SEVIS record.

    KU SEVIS Transfer Out Form

  • Driver's License

    If you want to drive a motor vehicle while studying in the U.S., you will either need to have an international driver's license, which is obtained in your home country, or a Pennsylvania State Driver's license. The international driver's license is usually only valid for one year.

    The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) oversees the issuing and maintenance of driver's licenses in Pennsylvania. You will need to take a written exam for the learner's permit and then a road skills test in a car with a PennDOT employee to get a driver's license. You must be at least 16 years old and residing/studying in the U.S. and Pennsylvania State for at least one year to apply for a learner's permit.

    Instructions for Driver’s License

    Eligibility requirements:

    • One-year presence in the U.S. remaining
    • 16 years of age or older
    • Physical Examination within 6 months of application (Doctor or provider must complete section on application - PennDOT Form 180)

    To obtain a driver's license, you will need the following:

    • PennDOT Form 180
    • A physical exam
    • Status verification letter from International Student Services
    • Passport
    • I-94
    • Visa
    • Social Security number (ITIN) or Social Security rejection letter
    • I-20
    • 2 proofs of Pennsylvania residency Driver’s License Application Process:

    Gather all documents listed above.

    • First, you will have to get a learner’s permit to practice driving in the U.S.
      • You must apply in person for the Learner’s Permit.
      • You will be required to take a written test to get it.
      • Study the Pennsylvania Driver’s Manual before you take the Permit test.
      • There is no appointment required to take the Learner’s Permit test.
    • Next, you will take a Road Skills test to get the license.
      • You must make an appointment for this test.
      • You may not drive yourself to the Driver’s License Center to take this test unless you have a licensed driver in the car with you.
      • You must provide a vehicle for this test; it is okay to take the test in someone else’s vehicle.
      • You must show valid registration and insurance as well as the accompanying driver’s unexpired license.


    Lehigh Valley Driver Center

    1710 Hoover Avenue

    Allentown, PA 18109

    Reading PennDOT Photo & Exam Center

    530 East Lancaster Avenue Shillington, PA 19607

    More information is online at www.dmv.pa.gov.

  • Dependents and Family Members

    You must notify International Student Services if you plan to have any of your dependents accompany you in F-2 status and provide biographical information (e.g. full name, address, country of birth, etc.) and immigration information (e.g. passport information, visa information, etc.) for each one. For traveling and re-entering the U.S., F-2 dependents need all the same documents as the F-1 student. Contact the Designated School Official for more information. Here are some important facts about dependents:

    F-2 Dependents

    • Maintain separate Form I-20; Duration of Status (D/S) is the same as the primary F-1 student
    • May travel abroad and re-enter without the primary; must obtain travel signature from the DSO
    • May not be employed within the U.S.
    • May not have a Social Security Number
    • May study part-time at a SEVP-approved university or enroll in less than a full course of study in an English as a Second Language program or other leisure/recreational study
    • Dependent children may enroll in full-time study only in primary or secondary school
  • Travel

    For travel outside of the U.S., you will need valid travel documents with current signatures. Travel within the U.S. does not require these items.

    Remember - you will need a valid visa to re-enter the U.S. If your visa is expired or will expire while you're out of the country but you have maintained good F-1 student status, review the information in the visa section to learn how to renew your visa.

    For travel to Mexico, Canada, or the Caribbean, except Cuba, your visa will be automatically revalidated when you travel to any of these destinations for less than 30 days and return to the U.S. Automatic visa revalidation does not apply to citizens of Cuba, Sudan, Iran, & Syria. If you traveled to the U.S. before the I-94 card was automated and you have an expired or single-entry visa, do not surrender the paper I-94 card when traveling to these locations. It will serve as a substitute for your expired visa.

    Required travel documents:

    • Passport valid for at least six months into the future
    • Visa, valid for multiple entries and not expired
    • Form I-20 signed by the Designated School Official within a year of return date It is also recommended that you travel with the following documents:
      • Proof of payment of SEVIS I-901 fee
      • Evidence of financial support
      • KU transcript and current course schedule
      • All previously issued I-20 forms
      • EAD card and letter from employer with dates and terms of employment (OPT only)
  • Enrollment Letters

    International Student Services can provide a general letter of enrollment for students. Use the below form to tell us more information so we can accurately compose your letter.

    Letter Request Form