Bookmark and Share

Transfer Student Orientation FAQs

new students

1. What is New Student Orientation (NSO)?

New Student Orientation prepares students for the transition from one school to the next as well as the opportunities awaiting them at Kutztown University. Orientation programs are offered for first-time freshman, transfer students, as well as parents.

2. What is an ARD?                

ARD stands for Advance Registration Deposit. This is the $275 deposit that a student sends to KU after being accepted to indicate their intention to enroll. Information about the New Student Orientation Program will be sent to students after the ARD has been paid.

3. What is Transfer Student Orientation?                

Transfer Student Orientation is a required, one day program for students transitioning from another institution to KU. It is designed to help connect you to resources on campus and to familiarize you with the university. Even though there may be information that a student is knowledgeable about, the information may be different at KU.

4. When are Transfer Student Orientation programs?                

There are a series of one-day programs offered during May, June, and July for students attending the fall semester. Students select the date that best suits their schedule. There is also a one day orientation in November and January for those beginning in the spring semester.

5. Will I taking any placement assessments as part of orientation?            

Yes. Kutztown University requires students to take the Aleks Math Placement Assessment. (See below)

*Students with transfer credits that have been evaluated and accepted to Kutztown as MAT 017, Introduction to Mathematics, have met this requirement and do not have to take the placement exam. If you are transferring into a major that requires more than introductory math, you must take the assessment.

Questions?  Visit the Math Placement website or contact Dr. Paul Ache, Chair of the Department of Mathematics, at or 610-683-4410.

6. What should I bring to orientation?                  

Bring a valid form of photo identification such as a driver's license, school I.D. or passport.

7. What if I need special accommodations for persons with disabilities, injuries, or other circumstances requiring accommodations?                

"Persons with a disability, and who require accommodation, should notify the Disability Services Office two weeks prior to the event at 610-683-4108 or email, TDD number: 610-683-4499, in order to discuss accommodations. Every effort will be made to provide reasonable accommodations. Please note: Kutztown University does not provide wheelchairs or other mobility devices."

8. Am I allowed to bring a guest with me to orientation?            

Yes. Each student is allowed to bring a maximum of two guest.

9. Where can I park during orientation?                  

Parking and other event information including location, check-in times, etc. are located on the Orientation website -  A parking permit is not required. Click here for a campus map.

10. Will I receive my course schedule during orientation?                


11. Can my guest, friend, or family member sit in during the academic advising session?            

The advising session is between the student and faculty member. There will be student facilitators present to help each student with any questions. Parents/Guardians are encouraged to discuss the FERPA waiver form with their student to seek approval to access information about the student record. 

12. Is my orientation experience complete once I attend the one day program in May/June/July?              

No. There is a required online training which you will receive more information about during your one-day orientation session.