Bookmark and Share

Parent FAQ

May I access my child's student records?

At post-secondary institutions, parents have no inherent right to access or inspect their student's educational records. Upon attendance, the rights transfer from the parent to the student regardless of age.

Students do however have the option to grant a parent access to information by completing the Authorization for Access to Student Records form. (Please list the name of the form as a link to the actual form.) A student may also give MyKU access to a parent or guardian using the delegated access feature.

May I view my child's grades, exams, or academic progress?

Final grades, grades on exams, and other information about academic progress are examples of the confidential information that makes up part of a student's educational record. This information is protected under FERPA, and parents do not have direct access to it unless the student has provided express, written authorization.

Class attendance is expected, and students should not be absent from class without adequate reason. Asking observational questions of faculty regarding the students participation in class is permitted by FERPA.

What about crisis or emergency situations?

If non-directory information is needed to resolve a crisis or emergency situation, an educational institution may release that information if the institution determines that the information is necessary to protect the health or safety of the student or other individuals.

Whom should I contact with questions or concerns?

General questions should be directed to the Registrar's Office.