Bookmark and Share

FERPA FAQ for Students

What are my rights under FERPA?

Under FERPA, you have a right to:

  • inspect and review your educational records.
  • request to amend your educational records.
  • have some control over the disclosure of information from your educational records.

Kutztown University notifies students annually of their FERPA rights through electronic communication at the beginning of each fall semester.

When do FERPA rights begin?
Your FERPA rights begin when you enroll; that is, after you are accepted and express your intention to be a Kutztown University student through participation in orientation, submit an on campus housing deposit, and/or pay all or part of tuition and fees.

Can my parents get information about me?
Without your express, written permission, your parents may have access only to your directory information. If you have restricted some or all of your directory information from access by the public, then those items of directory information are considered confidential and cannot be released to your parents or other third parties.  

Who can access my educational records?
Your educational records are confidential and may be disclosed:

  • to appropriate university administrators, faculty members, staff members, or contractors acting on behalf of the university, who require such access in order to perform their legitimate educational and business duties, when such records are needed in furtherance of the educational or business purposes of the student or university.
  • to those to whom you have given express, written permission.

How can I restrict access to public or directory information about me?
If you are currently enrolled, you may request that all or some of your directory information be made confidential through MyKU. Any restriction will remain in effect until you revoke it. Only currently enrolled students may restrict their directory information, but students may revoke the restriction of their information at any time.  

Whom should I contact with questions or concerns?
General questions should be directed to the Office of the Registrar.