Bookmark and Share

Student Conduct FAQ: For Faculty & Staff

What is FERPA? How does it apply?   

 The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99) is a federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education (US Department of Education, Family Policy Compliance Office). Student disciplinary records are considered educational records governed under FERPA. For information, visit the KU FERPA page.  

Where can I find a listing of KU's conduct policies and procedures?

The KU student handbook, The Key,  contains two very important documents outlining the university's behavioral expectations and student conduct process, namely the Student Code of Conduct and Document on Student Rights and Welfare. See the Policies & Procedures page on the Student Conduct website for additional information.   

How can I report a policy violation or incident?

An Incident Report can be submitted by any member of the campus community.  To access the form and submit a report visit the Student Conduct main page for reporting options and forms or contact the Dean of Students Office at (610) 683-1320.  Please note that there are separate processes for student conduct incidents and academic dishonesty.  In order to pursue a conduct violation against a student a written report must be submitted.  

Isn't going through the local court and going through the student conduct process the same thing?

No. The university addresses cases involving violations of KU policy. The court system adjudicates cases involving violations of law. Depending on circumstances, students may have to go through one channel or the other. In some cases, they may be subject to both.  Regardless, both systems are separate and distinct form one another; an outcome in one process does not equate to the same outcome in the other process. 

Can I serve as an advocate or counsel to a student going through the student conduct process?

Yes. An advocate can be a non-involved student, faculty member, or administrative staff member. The Respondent may also bring an attorney at their own expense to serve as their advocate in lieu of a community member.

One of my students is being disruptive in class and is negatively impacting class. What should I do?

It is recommended that you address classroom disruption when it happens in way that ends the behavior but doesn't embarrass the student. Afterward, follow up privately with the student to discuss the incident as well as your concerns and expectations to set clear boundaries.  Also, addressing classroom rules and expectations at the beginning of the semester in-class as well as on your syllabus can also be very helpful when addressing inappropriate behavior later on in the semester.

If the pattern of disruptive behavior continues or if a single incident is sufficiently severe or disruptive faculty can file an Incident Report with the Dean of Students Office. If the disruptive behavior becomes unruly or if there are safety concerns contact Public Safety and Police Services at 610-683-4001 (x34001) and follow up with the Dean of Students Office. 

I recently caught (or suspect) one of my students engaging in an academically dishonest act. What should I do?

You will need to speak with the student regarding the allegation and schedule a meeting with him/her.  If evidence warrants, a faculty member can then present the student with the Academic Dishonesty Report Form alleging misconduct.  The student can choose to receive a penalty from you right away that is no greater than an "F" in the course and end his/her disciplinary process with that step. If he/she does not choose that option, both of you will need to complete an Academic Dishonesty Form together. The form will need to be turned into the Dean of Students Office by Respondent within three days of your initial meeting - if not; he/she forfeits rights to a hearing. The student can either: 

  • Admit responsibility and receives a sanction from the faculty member  
  • Deny responsibility and submit a request for a Student Faculty Review Board hearing

For more information refer to: Academic Honesty