Bookmark and Share

Student Conduct FAQ

How do I report an incident? 

An Incident Report can be submitted by any member of the campus community. To access the form and submit a report, go to the Student Conduct home page for reporting options and forms.  If you live in the residence halls, consider talking to your Community Assistant and he/she can refer you to a professional staff member with in the Housing office. If you live off-campus, contact the Student Conduct office at (610) 683-1320 or visit the website above for more information.

Where can I find a listing of KU's conduct policies and procedures? 

The KU student handbook, The Key,  contains two very important documents outlining the university's behavioral expectations and student conduct process, namely the Student Code of Conduct and Document on Student Rights and Welfare. See the Policies & Procedures page on the Student Conduct website for additional information. 

Why aren't the terms "guilty" and "not guilty" used?

These terms are synonymous with the legal system and the student conduct process at KU is not a part of the legal system. Unnecessary legal terminology or legalese is not relevant to the student conduct process. As a result, the university uses the terms "responsible" and "not responsible" to define the finding in a student conduct case.

Who can access my student conduct file?

Student conduct records are kept on file with in the Student Conduct Office and accessed by only those employees with a legitimate educational need to know. Records are kept confidential and are not disclosed to outside parties except by written permission of the student or through court order. For more information about records, go to the KU FERPA page.

How long are student conduct records kept on file?

Student conduct records are kept on file for a period of two (2) years from the date a student graduates or officially leaves the university. Conduct records involving a suspension or dismissal will be kept on file for at least six (6) years from the date a student withdraws or graduates from the University. Some records may be held for up to seven (7) years for compliance with mandatory federal reporting of certain violations.

What is a student conduct hearing? What is its purpose?  

An assigned hearing authority convenes to address cases in which a policy violation is contested and attempts to find out what happened, figures out whether any policy violations took place and decides what to do regarding the possible policy violation.

Isn't going through the local court and going through the student conduct process the same thing?

No. The university addresses cases involving violations of KU policy. The court system adjudicates cases involving violations of law. Depending on circumstances, students may have to go through one channel or the other. In some cases, they may be subject to both.

Who can serve as an advocate?

An advocate can be a non-involved student, faculty member or administrative staff member. The Respondent may also bring an attorney at his/her  own expense to serve as an advocate.

What is FERPA? How does it apply?  

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99) is a federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education (US Department of Education, Family Policy Compliance Office). Student disciplinary records are considered educational records governed under FERPA. For information, visit the KU FERPA page.