Frequently Asked Questions:

What can I do with a major in Secondary Education?

See our Career Development Center's info sheet for more information regarding career paths, steps to success, internship ideas, and useful recourses to help you plan ahead for a successful future in Secondary Education.

What grades can I teach if I am certified to teach a secondary subject?

At present, most certification areas available through the Secondary Education Department are for grades 7-12. All modern language certifications are for grades K-12.

How long will it take to complete my degree program?

With the proper advisement, most programs can be completed within a four-year time span. Many students carry approximately 15 credits per semester and attend summer and/or winter classes. Many students take less credits per semester and finish comfortably in five years. Any significant change in major will result in more time to complete a certification program. An 8-semester plan can be found for each undergrad program on our Checksheets page (see the last page of checksheet PDF file). 

What is the best advice for getting teaching positions?

We advise our teacher candidates to achieve a high GPA to make them stand out in a competitive job market. We also encourage our teacher candidates to be active in KU organizations, clubs, and additional activities such as volunteering. A multidimensional teacher candidate will be more marketable in obtaining a teaching job-- consider our ESL program to broaden your experience. Mobility is also a key in obtaining a position in academic areas with few job openings. KU's Career Development Center offers services and resources to help students and alumni achieve their career goals.

What type of advisement system is used during the semester?

All Secondary Education teacher candidates have two advisors. One advisor is from the academic area. The other advisor is the professional advisor from the Department of Secondary Education. With dual advisement, teacher candidates have the opportunity to discuss their progress through the programs in terms of the academic concentration and the stages of the teacher education program. Please note that during the advisement period a student must meet with both advisors to be able to enroll in courses for the next semester. 

What happens to students who begin their college career as "undeclared?"

There are many students that enter KU without a major. These "undeclared" students may declare Secondary Education as a major if they have a GPA minimum of 3.0, obtain the required clearances, and have passing Basic Skills test scores. See our webpage for more information on the requirements and process of changing your major to Secondary Education. *It is highly recommended that students pursuing a career in teaching declare an Education major when applying to KU.*

What tests need to be taken to get certification in Pennsylvania?

Candidates for certification must take the PAPA test, the Praxis II content test and related tests for their certification area. The Career Development Center has pertinent information for application materials to take the appropriate tests. Additional materials can be found at the Clinical Experience & Partnerships office in the Beekey, room 224.

Do I have to return to school for additional course work after I get certified?

Your teaching certificate is not a permanent certificate, and you will have to acquire additional course work and documented hours to keep your certificate active. Many teachers return to Kutztown University for our Master of Education in Secondary Education program. Contact the Graduate Admissions Office for additional information on becoming a graduate student. Act 48 information concerning your certificate can be found at the Pennsylvania Department of Education website.

How can I get Act 48 Credits at Kutztown University?

Courses that are offered at Kutztown University, reporting forms for Act 48 courses, and Lifelong Learning opportunities are available at the Act 48 website. 

Do courses taken at another institution transfer into the KU certification program?

When you transfer to KU, your transcript will be evaluated to see which courses transfer and which courses do not. Although many courses will, not all courses will transfer as credit to KU.