Secondary Education FAQ

What Can I Do With a Major in Secondary Education?

What grades can I teach if I am certified to teach a secondary subject?
At present, most certification areas available through the Secondary Education Department are for grades 7-12. All modern language certifications are for grades K-12.

How long will it take to complete my degree program?
With the proper advisement, most programs can be completed within a four year time span. Many students carry approximately 15 credits per semester and attend summer classes. Many students take less credits per semester and finish comfortably in five years. Any significant change in major will result in more time to complete a certification program.

What is the best advice for getting teaching positions?
We advise our teacher candidates to achieve the highest quality point average to make them competitive in the job market. We also encourage our teacher candidates to be active in KU organizations and additional activities. A multidimensional teacher candidate will be more marketable in obtaining a teaching job. Mobility is also a key in obtaining a position in academic areas with few job openings.

What type of advisement system is used during the semester?
All secondary education teacher candidates have two advisors. One advisor is from the academic area. The other advisor is the professional advisor from the Department of Secondary Education. With dual advisement, teacher candidates have the opportunity to discuss their progress through the programs in terms of the academic concentration and the stages of the teacher education program.

What happens to students who begin their college career as "undeclared?"
There are many students that enter KU without a major. These "undeclared" students may declare Secondary Education as a major if they have a quality point average of 3.0. Additional requirements for transferring to Secondary Education can be changed at any time. Please check with the department. It is highly recommended that students planning on a career in teaching declare a major when applying to attend KU.

What tests need to be taken to get certification in Pennsylvania?
Candidates for certification must take the PAPA test, the Praxis II content test and related tests for their certification area. The KU Career Services has the pertinent information for application materials to take the appropriate tests. Additional materials can be found at the Field Experience & Outreach office in the Beekey Education Center.

Do I have to return to school for additional course work after I get certified?
Your teaching certificate is not a permanent certificate, and you will have to acquire additional course work and documented hours to keep your certificate active. Many teachers return to Kutztown University for the Master's degree. Contact the Graduate Admissions Office for additional information on becoming a graduate student. Act 48 information concerning your certificate can be found at the Pennsylvania Department of Education website.

How can I get Act 48 Credits at Kutztown University?
Courses that are offered at Kutztown University, reporting forms for Act 48 courses, and Lifelong Learning opportunities are available at the Act 48 Web page.

Do courses taken at another institution transfer into the KU certification program?
When you transfer to KU, your transcript will be evaluated to see which courses transfer and which courses do not. Do not assume that all courses taken elsewhere will transfer into KU.