Changing your major to Secondary Ed?

Secondary Education's undergraduate programs will prepare you to teach grades 7-12 with a specialized concentration. The concentrations we offer are: English*, Social Studies*, Spanish*, German*, General Science*, Biology*, Chemistry, Mathematics*, Physics, Physics & Mathematics and Earth & Space Science*. Subjects denoted with an asterisk are also available as a Sec Ed/Special Ed dual certification. Please see our Checksheets webpage for links to the checksheets for each program. 

Coming into the College of Education?

If your major is currently outside the College of Education, there are a few requirements that must be met before you can switch into an education major:

  • 3.0 minimum GPA
  • Background checks/clearances
  • Passing Basic Skills Test scores (if you have 48+ credits)
Background checks / Clearances

The following are the clearances required for admittance into the College of Education. See KU's official policy on clearances here. Proof of these clearances must be uploaded to the online portfolio Watermark. To obtain a Watermark account and for help uploading the clearances, please contact the Watermark help office via email or by calling 610-683-4356. See this sheet for more information regarding clearances and how to obtain them. 

  • Act 34 Criminal History Report
  • Act 151 Child Abuse History Report
  • Act 114 FBI Federal Criminal History Record
  • Act 126 Mandated Child Abuse Reporter Training
  • TB Test
Basic Skills Tests

The Basic Skills Tests refer to the SAT, ACT, PAPA, and CORE exams. For admittance in the College of Education, passing scores of the Reading, Math, and Writing portions of the exams must be on file with KU. For more information regarding the passing scores, please see this chart with each tests’ scores. 

To initiate the process of changing your major to Secondary Education please contact our secretary Ms. Vale Deeter to fill out a change of curriculum form. The Sec Ed office is in Beekey 226. Once proof of the 3.0 minimum GPA, clearances, and passing test scores are on file, the form will be sent off for the department chair, COE dean, and Registrar approval. Once the Registrar has received the form the change of major should show on MyKU within 2-3 days.