Why Join Psi Chi - The International Honor Society in Psychology?
Psi Chi is the International Honor Society for Psychology majors, with chapters around the globe. The KU Chapter of Psi Chi holds biweekly meetings and plans other events for its members and other psychology students. Anyone is welcome to attend the meetings, where topics typically center around psychological research and graduate school. Look for the signs announcing meetings and events! To join Psi Chi, you must meet certain membership qualifications (see below). More about the benefits of joining Psi Chi can be found on the Psi Chi Website. The Psi Chi website also has more information about awards, careers, graduate school, preparing research presentations, conventions and chapter information, so check it out!
To access the list of events please click here
Eligibility for KU Chapter Membership
The Kutztown University Chapter of Psi Chi, the international honorary society in psychology, is open to all students who meet the following KU Chapter qualifications for active student membership:*
- Completion of at least 36 credits for undergraduates, 12 of which were taken at Kutztown University; 15 credits for graduate students.
- Completion of 9 semester hours of Psychology taken at KU.
- Declaration of a major or minor in psychology.
- An overall cumulative GPA and a minimum GPA in psychology of 3.30 for undergraduates; 3.75 for graduate students.
- High standards of personal behavior.
- Two-thirds affirmative vote of those present at a regular meeting of the chapter.
* Psi Beta members should see the advisor, Dr. Baranczyk, as they qualify for automatic membership in KU Psi Chi, pending payment of the Psi Chi membership fee.
The Kutztown Chapter of Psi Chi sends out emails each October and February to Psychology majors listing the criteria to qualify for membership, along with a membership application. Students who think they qualify then submit the application to the Psi Chi advisor (currently Dr. Michele Baranczyk). The group holds an initiation ceremony in late March/early April. There is a one-time fee of $70 to join the national honor society and to receive honor cords. (The membership is lifetime, therefore, graduate students who joined Psi Chi at their undergraduate institution typically should not re-apply for Psi Chi if/when invited to join the KU Chapter). Psi Chi members wear their blue and platinum honor cords during the university's graduation ceremony. An added benefit of chapter membership is that students can apply to the faculty advisor to have the cost of registration fees to attend professional or student psychology conferences covered or defrayed.