Bookmark and Share

Frequently Asked Questions for International Students

What is the application process?

Please review the information on the How to Apply and academic department websites for specific application requirements.

Undergraduate international applicants should submit their application materials to the Office of International Admissions, Kutztown University, P.O. Box 730, Kutztown, PA 19530, USA.

Graduate international applicants should submit their application materials to the Office of Graduate Admissions, Kutztown University, P.O. Box 730, Kutztown, PA 19530, USA.

Once my application is received, how long before I hear from KU?

The response time, once your completed application is received by the appropriate office at Kutztown University, is typically three weeks. Please be aware that an incomplete application will delay the response time.

What does a completed application consist of?

A completed application is distinct for undergraduate, graduate, and transfer international students. Go to the How to Apply website to find application requirements for your application type.  There are checklists for each application type.

What is considered an official transcript?

An official transcript is a document that is sent to Kutztown University by the school, college, university, or agency that issues secondary school completion certificates. Transcripts are accepted for admission under the following conditions:

  • Official, original language transcript with official English language translation
  • Official transcript in English, if issued directly by the school
  • Certified copy of original language transcript sent with official English translation (if applicable) and signed by one of the following: (a) Administrator of the student's school, (b) U.S. Embassy official, (c) Ministry of Education official, (d) U.S. Overseas Advising Office staff member, or (e) Notary Public

Graduate students must submit an official transcript from their undergraduate university. International undergraduate degrees must be evaluated by an evaluation service to be reviewed for admission. Official transcripts and evaluations must be mailed to the Office of Graduate Admissions.

What financial documents are needed for the application process?

The financial documents required for the application process include the I-20 or DS-2019 application and evidence of financial resources available for the cost of the first year of study. Acceptable financial documents include: Six consecutive months of bank statements, bank loans for educational purposes, scholarship letters, investment statements indicating liquid assets, or a government funding guarantor letter. Students may have sponsors who help them fund the cost of their education. 

May I apply online?

You may apply online. Please note that you must pay the application fee with a credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express), unless you received a fee waiver code.

Where should I send my completed application?

All undergraduate and graduate applications are online. Please let us know if you need a paper application for any reason. It should be mailed or emailed to the Office of International Admissions & Services: Office of International Admissions & Services, PO Box 730, Kutztown, PA, 19530, USA or

May I transfer university credit?

University transcripts will be evaluated for transfer credit after you are accepted to Kutztown University. If you have university credit from institutions outside the United States, you may transfer these credits to Kutztown University. You must provide an official word-for-word English translation of transcripts issued in a language other than English. It is also helpful to submit syllabi and/or course descriptions of all courses completed.

How can I check the status of my application?

You may check the status of your application online at using the ID and password you received in the application acknowledgment email or by contacting the Office of International Admissions and Services.

Do I have to have to declare a major or program of study in order to apply to KU?

Yes. You must declare a major or program of study in order to apply to Kutztown University. You may change your major within the first two years at Kutztown University.

What is the difference between an undergraduate and a graduate program of study?

An undergraduate program of study is appropriate for students who have completed their high school or secondary school program, but have not yet earned a Bachelor's degree. Kutztown University offers more than 50 undergraduate programs.

A graduate program of study is appropriate for students who have completed their Bachelor's degree and are seeking to complete advanced study in an academic or professional field and earn a Master's degree. Kutztown University offers more than 18 graduate programs.

How do I know if I am an undergraduate or graduate student?

If you are a student who hasn't yet earned a Bachelor's degree, then you are considered an undergraduate student. However, if you are a student who has earned a Bachelor's degree, then you are probably a graduate student. If you want to earn a second Bachelor's degree, then you will still be considered an undergraduate second degree student.

Does KU accept the British system of coursework (i.e., O-, AS- and A-level)?

Yes. Kutztown University accepts O-, AS-, and A-level coursework. In some cases, the coursework may be deemed equivalent to the completion of a secondary-level program (i.e. high school diploma). This is determined on a case-by-case review of grades in the coursework.

May I receive university credit for A-level coursework?

You may receive university credit for A-level coursework depending on your final scores on the exams. In order to receive credit, however, you must submit a course-by-course evaluation by World Education Service (WES). This evaluation should be mailed to the Office of International Admissions & Services. The number of credits awarded is determined on a case-by-case basis.

What is the deadline for submitting an application?

We review applications on a rolling basis, which means we are always accepting applications for future semesters. Certain programs have limited seats available, and thus you are encouraged to submit your completed application as early as possible. Students seeking graduate admissions should consult the specific graduate programs webpage they are interested in to determine the deadline for admission.

What is the cost to study at Kutztown University for international students?

The cost to study at Kutztown University consists of tuition, administrative fees (including incidentals such as health insurance and books), and room and board. View the current tuition and fees.

Is financial aid available to international students?

International students are not eligible for federal financial aid, however Kutztown University offers a 40% out-of-state tuition discount to all new international freshman and transfer students as well as three levels of tuition waivers to new incoming students based on several factors, including: financial need, contrinution to local community, potential for contribution to global diversity at KU, overall academic performance, and SAT or ACT scores for the top two levels of tuition waivers. Additionally, KU offers five full-tuition scholarships for the President's International Piano Quintet. More information is listed on our International Student Financial Aid website

Graduate students may apply for a graduate assistantship.

Am I eligible to receive more than one tuition waiver?

No. You may only receive one waiver, though it will be the highest waiver for which you are eligible based on availability.

When should I apply for a tuition waiver?

Only new incoming undergraduate international students may apply for a tuition waiver. If you are interested in applying, please complete and submit your application to the Office of International Admissions as soon as possible.

What is the deadline for submitting the tuition waiver application?

The deadline to apply for a tuition waiver for the fall (August) semester at Kutztown University is March 1. Applications received after this date will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Graduate students applying for a graduate assistantship should contact the Office of Graduate Admissions for the deadline.

If I am selected to receive a tuition waiver, when will it be posted to my account?

International students who are selected to receive a tuition waiver may not see the scholarship immediately applied to their initial tuition bill. Generally, the amount of the waiver is posted to the student's account within the first month of the semester. Please be aware that the waiver is only applied to the cost of tuition. All other administrative fees, as well as room and board, still remain the responsibility of the student. Students should contact the Office of Student Accounts if they are relying on the tuition waiver to pay the balance of their account.

Are tuition waivers renewable?

Yes. International students who remain eligible for renewal of their tuition waiver will see the waiver amount posted to their tuition bill. Tuition waiver renewals are only available for a cumulative maximum of nine (9) semesters.
Students who become ineligible for a tuition waiver renewal may appeal if they become eligible during the next semester. In this case, tuition waiver renewal is not guaranteed and appeal decisions are final.

Must I hold an F-1 visa to study at KU?

No. International students may also hold other visa types (i.e. J-1, L-2, etc.), however, international students who are not on an F-1 visa may not be eligible for various F-1 benefits such as international student tuition waivers and employment and practical training. Students are encouraged to research the various types of student visas available to them. If you have any questions about whether you may study at Kutztown University, please contact the Office of International Admissions & Services.

I am currently in the U.S. and hold a non-student visa; may I still study at KU?

Students who hold a non-student visa may apply for admission to Kutztown University, however, students must meet all academic requirements and be accepted to KU before they can apply for a change of status to a student visa (i.e. F-1 or J-1). Certain non-student visa holders, such as B-1, B-2 visitorsmay not begin their program of study until the change of status has been approved by USCIS. F-2 visa holders may enroll part-time at KU.

How do I apply for a change of status?

Accepted students on a non-student visa may apply for a change of status to a student visa (i.e. F-1 or J-1). In this case, the following documents must be submitted to the assigned USCIS Service Center:

  • Completed Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status - please review instructions
  • Form I-539 Filing Fee - check or money order made payable to "U.S. Department of Homeland Security"
  • Original Form I-20 (for F-1 students) or DS-2019 (for J-1 students), issued by the Office of International Admissions
  • Proof of payment of the SEVIS I-901 fee - this cannot be paid until the Form I-20 has been issued
  • Original I-94 Card
  • Copies of passport ID pages, visa, and other current immigration status documents
  • Copies of financial support documents
  • Letter explaining why you are requesting the change of status

Please note that the following visa holders may not apply for a change of status within the United States: M-1, C, D, or K non-immigrants, J non-immigrants subject to the 212(e) two-year foreign residency requirement, and WT and WB visitors admitted under the visa waiver program.

If I do not have a visa, may I still study at KU?

Yes. Kutztown University will not deny admission to the university so long as the student meets general admissions requirements. Please contact the Office of International Admissions & Services.

If I hold a green card, should I still apply through the Office of International Admissions & Services?

No. International students who hold a green card are considered permanent residents and thus should apply through the domestic application process.

Are there other international students attending KU? Where are they from?

Yes. Our international student community is very diverse. International students from all over the world, including Europe, Africa, Latin America, Asia and Oceania, study at Kutztown University.

What is the weather like in Kutztown?

When you arrive in August, you'll likely experience temperatures ranging anywhere from 70-90 degrees Fahrenheit (21-32 degrees Celsius). In these temperatures, light weight clothing is suggested for your comfort. As the semester continues, heavier clothing may become necessary. In November and December, temperatures can drop to 17-40 degrees Fahrenheit (-8-4 degrees Celsius) and are typically accompanied by snow and ice, therefore a heavy overcoat, gloves and scarves are highly recommended. These temperatures generally last until February. Once springtime approaches in March, temperatures begin to rise again to about 45-60 degrees Fahrenheit (7-15 degrees Celsius) and are often accompanied by rain, so a raincoat and umbrella are also a good idea. These temperatures can last throughout the remainder of the spring semester.