Bookmark and Share

International Freshman Application Requirements

Applying to Kutztown University is easy!

1) Apply online and pay the $35.00 application fee.

2) Demonstrate English proficiency.

3) Submit official test scores.

4) Submit secondary school transcripts or exam results.

5) Most Visual and Performing Arts majors must submit a portfolio or audition.

Demonstrate English Proficiency

You will need to demonstrate proficiency in the English language. To do this, you must meet one of the following requirements:

  • Reside in a country where English is recognized as an official language.
  • Achieve the minimum required test score for English proficiency listed below.
  • Other formal English report as authorized by the United States Embassy or Consulate will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

If you do not meet English proficiency requirements, please consider completing our English as a Second Language (ESL) partnership program at a nearby community college. You will be able to enroll at KU after completing the ESL program. Learn more about this program on our website.

Test Scores

You are required to submit results from at least one standardized test taken within the past two years. You may take any of the exams below and request that the testing service send your score report to Kutztown University. We accept unofficial student score reports for the purpose of the application review, however, we will require official exam scores prior to issuing any visa documents. We reserve the right to request official scores at any time in the admissions process. Minimum criteria for admission and English proficiency are listed below:

  • IELTS: 6.5 Overall Score
  • TOEFL: 79 internet-based test (KU School Code: 2653)
  • PTE: 53 Overall Score
  • Duolingo English Test: 52 Overall Score
  • SAT (KU School Code 2653):
    • Total score of 930
    • English Proficiency Requirement: Evidence-Based Reading and Writing score of 560
  • ACT (KU School Code 3706):
    • Composite score of 17
    • English Proficiency Requirement: 21 English/Writing Score

Secondary School Documents

Not sure which documents to send? Contact us!

We accept unofficial documents for the application review process. Precise word-for-word English translations are required for all documents that are not written in English. Please note that if you are accepted to KU and choose to enroll, you must submit all final official documents prior to enrollment. We reserve the right to cancel an application if we deem any documents to be fraudulent. 

Official secondary school transcripts and certificates in English are accepted under the following conditions:

  • Final results sent from testing service (GCE, GCSE, WAEC, UMALUSI, etc.)
  • Official, original language transcript/certificate in a sealed envelope issued by school with official English language translation
  • Official transcript/certificate in English in a sealed envelope if issued directly by the school
  • Certified copy of original language transcript/certificate sent with official English translation (if applicable) and signed by one of the following:
    • Administrator of the student's school
    • U.S. Embassy Official
    • Ministry of Education Official
    • U.S. Overseas Advising Office staff member
    • Official Notary Public

Our mailing address is:

Office of International Admissions and Services
P.O. Box 730
Kutztown, PA 19530

We also accept official documents by email sent to from your school counselor, the ministry of education, the administrator of the national exams, or any other official education official on a case-by-case basis.

The Office of International Admissions and Services does not require you to submit your academic records for evaluation from an external agency during the initial admissions process. However, Kutztown University reserves the right to require an external credential evaluation of academic records from outside of the U.S. at any time during your academic program at the university.

Visual and Performing Arts Majors

If you apply to the Applied Digital Arts, Art Education, Communication Design, Crafts, or Studio Art major, you must submit a portfolio via SlideRoom. (Portfolios are also accepted at Open House and Portfolio Review Events.)

If you apply to the Commercial Music, Music, Music Education, or Music Performance major, you must schedule an audition.

Apply Online Today!

International Undergraduate Preferred Application Deadlines

Applicants outside of the U.S.

August Admission: May 1
January Admission: October 1

Applicants within U.S.

August Admission: June 1
January Admission: November 1

See Graduate Admissions website for graduate admissions deadlines.

American International Recruitment Council Institutional Member