Bookmark and Share

International Transfer and Second Degree Application Requirements

Applying to Kutztown University is easy!

  1. Apply online for FREE. The application fee is waived in the months of May & June.
  2. Submit official English Language test scores or qualify for a waiver of this requirement.
  3. Submit official transcripts from all colleges and universities you attended.
  4. Submit an official final secondary school certificate. (transfer students only)
  5. Most Visual and Performing Arts majors must submit a portfolio, art test, or audition.

English Proficiency

You are required to submit results from at least one standardized English language test taken within the past two years, unless you are from a country in the English Proficiency Waiver list. You may take any of the exams below and request that the testing service send your official score report to Kutztown University. The minimum required score for English proficiency is listed below. 

  • IELTS: 6.5 Overall Score
  • TOEFL: 79 internet-based test (KU School Code: 2653)
  • PTE: 53 Overall Score

We can also accept SAT or ACT scores for English proficiency if you took the exam within the last two years:

  • SAT: 500 (Old Critical Reading) / 560 (New Evidence-Based Reading and Writing) (KU School Code: 2653)
  • ACT: 21 English/Writing Score (KU School Code: 3706)

Test scores that are lower than the minimum requirement: If you do not meet the minimum English proficiency scores listed above, or do not want to take an exam, you may seek conditional admission from Kutztown University, enroll in an English as a Second Language (ESL) program at a nearby community college, and then enroll at KU after you complete the ESL program requirements. Email us for more information about this option.

Waiver of English proficiency requirement

We will waive the English language requirement for international students who have studied at a U.S. college or university for at least one academic year and have completed the equivalent of ENG 023, College Composition I, with a grade of C or higher.

University Transcripts

Transfer and Second Degree applicants are required to submit official transcripts in English from every college or university they attended. If the transcript is not in English, you must submit an official word-for-word English translation of the official transcript, too. After you are admitted to the university, your classes will be evaluated for transfer. Visit our Transfer Credit Evaluation page to see if any of your classes have been transferred to KU in the past.

Official transcripts must be sent directly to Kutztown University.

IMPORTANT: If you plan to transfer credits to Kutztown University from a university that is located outside of the U.S., you will be required to purchase an official course-by-course evaluation for every university transcript. You may choose WES or another NACES member agency; every company has their own requirements for the evaluation.

Our mailing address is:

Office of International Admissions & Services
P.O. Box 730
Kutztown, PA 19530

Secondary School Certificate

If you have not yet earned any degree or postsecondary certificate, you are required to submit an official final secondary school certificate. If the certificate is not in English, you must provide an official word-for-word Englsh translation of it. You may request that your school or the organization that issues the certificates send it to the address above. If you have earned an associate's or bachelor's degree, you do not need to submit a secondary school certificate. We will review students who have earned postsecondary certificates on an individual basis.

Visual and Performing Arts Majors

Students applying to the Applied Digital Arts, Art Education, Communication Design, Crafts, and Studio Art majors must submit a portfolio via SlideRoom.

Students applying to the Commercial Music, Music, Music Education, and Music Performance majors must schedule an audition.

International Undergraduate Preferred Application Deadlines

Applicants outside of the U.S.

August Admission: May 1
January Admission: October 1

Applicants within U.S.

August Admission: June 1
January Admission: November 1

See Graduate Admissions website for graduate admissions deadlines.

American International Recruitment Council Institutional Member