Bookmark and Share

How to Get Started

Steps to admission at Kutztown University:

1.  Apply for the G.I. Bill - Determine your educational benefits.

Contact the VA, your command, or Military Education Office (Active Duty) to find out if you qualify for MGIB, TA or EAP tuition assistance.

Apply for eligible benefits. (We recommend you apply for your G.I. Bill early since the VA verification process may take several weeks.)

You will receive your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the Department of VA after several weeks if your paperwork is complete and accurate.  You should apply for admissions prior to receiving your COE.

2.  Complete Kutztown University Admissions online application - Apply for Admissions to KU.

3.  Complete a Federal Student Aid FAFSA - In Pennsylvania, veterans may be eligible for full state grants. KU's priority deadline is March 1st but you can file after this date. More information: Apply for Financial Aid.

4.  Submit your official military/SMART transcripts to Office of the Registrar to have your military training/experience evaluated for possible academic credit.

CCAF Transcripts - For Air Force

AARTS Transcripts - For Army

USCG Transcripts - For Coast Guard

SMART Transcripts - For Marines and Navy

5.  Research all scholarship and tuition benefit options - Research scholarship and tuition options available to military personnel, and view KU and non-KU scholarship opportunities.

6.  Accepted students must confirm their attendance by submitting a non-refundable advanced registration deposit by the deadline date indicated on their acceptance offer. This deposit is usually not paid for by education benefits or tuition assistance and is an out-of-pocket expense.

7.  Register for and attend New Student Orientation to receive advisement and schedule classes. 

8.  Following orientation, all student-veterans (and dependents using military education benefits) must visit KU's Veterans Certifying Officer (located in the Registrar's Office). Bring the following documents with you.

Completed Application for Veterans Benefits form

Notice of Basic Eligibility form (for National Guard or Reserve)

Military Discharge Document/DD 214 - member 4 copy

Any other supporting documents that may assist in establishing your VA claim

Additional Enrollment Resources

A.C.E. Military Guide Online - A.C.E. will help you determine what college credit you may already have earned via your military background.

Kutztown University Disability Services - For information on the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and conditions for which veterans may be covered by ADA.

Career Development Center - The staff in the Career Development Center is here to assist you with your career plans: choosing a major, researching career fields and job market trends, and internship/employment assistance. They will gladly support you over phone, email or in-person!