College of Visual and Performing Arts Scholarships
College of Visual and Performing Arts scholarships are awarded to full-time undergraduate students on the basis of merit and/or financial need, according to specific criteria established by the donor in consultation with the Kutztown University Foundation. Academic departments select scholarship recipients, and not all scholarships are available every year.
Following acceptance to the university and program of study, which may require successful completion of a portfolio or audition, new students are automatically considered for any scholarships for which they meet the selection criteria. Several scholarships require a special application procedure; click on the name of the scholarship for more information. Applicants should carefully prepare and submit materials by the deadline in the guidelines to ensure best possible consideration.
Additional scholarships are offered in the Admissions, Athletics, College of Business, College of Education, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Financial Aid, Freshman, Honors and Miscellaneous categories.
Art Scholarships are awarded to art history, applied digital arts, art education, communication design, crafts, and studio art majors.
- Communication Design Scholarship Established by faculty and alumni to provide scholarship aid to a freshman communication design student who shows exceptional talent as determined through the admissions process.
- Craig S.M. Hunter '87 Memorial Scholarship Established by friends, family, and Donovan Advertising in memory of Craig S.M. Hunter '87 for a communication design major who did not enter college directly from high school, has worked for at least one year, completed at least 65 credits, and demonstrated a commitment to physical fitness.
- Steve R. Skelly '96 Scholarship Established by Richard R. Skelly Jr. (father) in memory of Steven R. Skelly '96 to provide scholarships for worthy full-time students majoring in electronic media, communication studies, or elementary education, who are currently battling cancer or may be mobility impaired.
- Dr. Morris K. Perinchief Art History Scholarship Established in honor of Dr. Morris K. Perinchief. Eligible students must be pursuing a degree in the Art & Art History Department.
- David Theodore Lehman Endowed Art Scholarship Established through the estate of David Theodore Lehman to provide a scholarship for a student majoring in art education, communication design, crafts, or studio art.
- Deborah A. Brandt Communication Design Scholarship Established by Deborah A. Brandt to provide recognition and financial assistance to female undergraduate communication design students who demonstrate financial need and outstanding artistic abilities.
- Domenig/Latanision Art Education and Fine Arts Scholarship Established by Carol M. and Ronald M. Latanision in honor of the relationship between Carol and her mother, Kathleen Fielding Domenig '29 , to provide scholarship assistance to a full time student currently in their junior year with a double major in art education and fine arts, crafts or communication design with a GPA of at least 3.5.
- Doris New Grandon Scholarship Established by Doris N. Grandon '44 to provide scholarships to art education majors who have achieved an outstanding academic record, demonstrate financial need, and have completed at least 30 credits.
- Dr. Irene Mitchel "Three Sisters" Art Scholarship Established in memory of Helen Mitchel Stetz and Mary Mitchel Kurello. Consideration for this scholarship will be given to students enrolled at KU and pursuing a degree in art education. Recipients must have completed at least 30 credits at KU and maintained a minimum GPA of 3.2.
- Dr. Thomas Schantz Applied Digital Media Scholarship Established by John D. Roberts to recognize the impact Dr. Thomas Schantz had on his career and to provide scholarship support for a student planning to or attending KU and be pursuing a degree in digital arts. Applicants must demonstrate financial need and be in the top 25% of the highest scores of portfolio review and maintain a 3.0 GPA.
- Edward J. Griffin Art Education Scholarship Established by Edward J. Griffin '54 to support a freshman student majoring in art education who demonstrates financial need with a predicted GPA between 2.3 - 3.0 and a minimum portfolio score of 2.55.
- Fine Arts Incentive Scholarship Established by visual arts friends and alumni to provide scholarship support for students pursuing a degree offered by the Art and Art History Department.
- Greg Purdon Memorial Scholarship Fund Established to provide recognition and financial assistance to an outstanding, graduating Northampton Community College student who is enrolled or planning to enroll at KU as an undergraduate student and graduating as a studio arts or communications design major.
- Helen Hughes-Lehman Scholarship Established by David T. Lehman (husband and former Kutztown University art professor) and the estate of Helen Hughes-Lehman to provide recognition and assistance to outstanding art education students.
- John E. and Barbara A. Stolz Honorary Scholarship Established by John E. and Barbara A. Stolz to provide a scholarship for a sophomore (or higher) student majoring in crafts who demonstrates academic excellence and financial need. Applicants must have completed 3 semesters at KU. Preference will be given to a student demonstrating an interest and proficiency in woodworking.
- John K. Landis Honorary Scholarship Established by colleagues, friends, and former students to serve as a testament to the dedicated service John Landis gave to the development of the communication design program and to the committed support he gave his students, to provide a scholarship for a full-time freshman communication design major.
- Karen M. Winning '72 Endowed Scholarship Established by Karen M. Winning '72 in appreciation for her Kutztown University education and what it has meant to her career and life. Eligible students must be undergraduate students enrolled or planning to pursue a degree as an art teacher in the College of Visual & Performing Arts.
- Karen L. Anderson Memorial Scholarship Established in memory of Karen L. Anderson by Mr. and Mrs. Richard Anderson (parents) and friends to provide scholarships to an outstanding junior communication design major with a concentration in graphic design who demonstrates financial need.
- Klunk & Millan Communication Design Scholarship Established by James S. Klunk '77 to provide a scholarship for an outstanding communication design major. Eligible students must demonstrate successful academic performance as determined by KU criteria and an art test/portfolio review score in top 10% of incoming applicants.
- Mary Grace Wible Scholarship Established in memory of Mary Grace Wible, retired art education professor at KU, as a bequest of her estate to provide a scholarship to a Pennsylvania resident student of need, majoring in art education, who is in at least the sophomore year of study.
- Michele M. Russo Memorial Scholarship Established by Nancy and Michael Russo (parents) in memory of Michele Russo (former student), to assist a studio art major who demonstrates financial need.
- Morning Call Scholarship Established by The Morning Call newspaper to provide scholarships to communication design majors who demonstrate financial need.
- Ruth B. DeFrancesco Scholarship in Art Established by a bequest from Ruth B. DeFrancesco to provide scholarship assistance to freshman students majoring in art education, communication design, crafts, or studio art
- Sandra Corpora '69 Scholarship for Art Studies Established by Sandra Dickinson Corpora '69 to provide scholarship assistance to a studio art major who demonstrates exceptional achievement in studio courses, a strong academic record, and professional development in the arts.
- Susan Allport-Schneider Scholarship Established in recognition of and appreciation of Susan Allport-Schneider, emerita professor of art education and crafts, for the contributions she made as a teacher and department chair, and through collaborative projects she developed with schools, museums, and other public institutions. Established to provide financial assistance to an art education or crafts major with a GPA of 3.5 who demonstrates a commitment to scholarship, artistry, and teaching.
- Talent Grants are awarded to incoming freshmen majors in applied digital arts, art education, commercial music, communication design, crafts, and studio art demonstrating exceptional promise as evidenced through the admissions process.
- Volume Squared Scholarship Established by KA Pang to provide a scholarship for an outstanding sophomore or junior communication design major. Eligible students must maintain an overall GPA of 3.0 and a 3.2 GPA in studio courses, present a portfolio to Communication Design Scholarship & Awards Committee.
- Wilson-Brown Endowed Scholarship Established in honor of Florence Brown Webber '24, Guy Brown '32, Roy A. Brown '41, Bernice Webber Wilson '49 and Paul Wilson '49 to be awarded to a student majoring in elementary education, library science or art education with a GPA of 3.0.
- Naomi Evangeline Dietrich Long 1919 Scholarship Established by Mr. and Mrs. Theodore Harley (daughter) in memory of Naomi Dietrich Long '19 to provide scholarships to freshman students meeting the following criteria: leadership potential, involvement in performing arts (music), character, responsibility, dependability, enthusiasm for teaching, performance in elementary education courses, attitude toward profession, contribution to elementary education program in general, serious financial need, who are majoring in elementary education.
- William W. Finney Jr., Memorial Endowed Scholarship Fund Established in memory of William W. Finney '82. Eligible students must be enrolled or planning to enroll at KU and pursuing a degree with a Communication Design major. Applicants must be good students as determined by the Communication Design Department review process, have a minimum GPA of 3.0, and be a sophomore, junior or senior.
Communication Studies Scholarships are awarded to communication studies majors.
- Communication Studies Endowed Scholarship To provide financial assistance to an undergraduate student majoring in Communication Studies demonstrating need and a sucessful acadmic performance.
- Deane Lenhart Memorial Scholarship Established in memory of Deane Lenhart (former professor) by Robert Lenhart (husband), family and friends to provide scholarships for communications studies majors with an interest and background in dance.
- E. Annette Mazzaferri Robertson Communication Studies Scholarship Established by John J. Robertson, M.D. in memory of his wife, E. Annette Mazzaferri Robertson, Ph.D., to provide scholarship assistance to a Communication Studies major who has achieved an outstanding academic record and demonstrates financial need. Incoming freshmen must have a minimum 3.0 estimated GPA based on application materials and maintain a 3.0 GPA at KU and a 3.2 minimum GPA in their major to renew the scholarship for a maximum of four years.
- Sean Christopher Cieri Scholarship Established in loving memory of Sean Christopher Cieri by his family and friends to provide scholarship assistance to a freshman student majoring in Secondary Education or Communication Studies.
Electronic Media Scholarships are awarded to electronic media majors.
- Bradley D. Rahn '83 Scholarship Established by Mr. and Mrs. William J. Rahn (parents) and Mr. and Mrs. T.W. Proudfoot (grandparents) in memory of their son and grandson, Bradley D. Rahn '83, to provide scholarships for hard-working upper-level electronic media students who are active in extracurricular activities. Eligible students must have a minimum of 60 credits, a 2.5 GPA overall and a 3.5 GPA in electronic media.
- Hearst Foundation Scholarship Established by a grant from the Hearst Foundation to provide annual scholarships to two students: one majoring in English professional writing, and one majoring in electronic media.
Music Scholarships are awarded to students from all majors who participate in music ensembles at Kutztown University. However, music majors receive priority consideration.
- Calvin E. Afflerbach & Mamie H. Afflerbach Scholarship Established by the estate of Mamie H. Afflerbach (Hartman) '20 to provide scholarships based on musical achievement, academic standing and financial need for students in music performance ensembles.
- Charles J. Scanzello Memorial Endowed Scholarship The purpose of this scholarship shall be to provide recognition and financial assistance to outstanding undergraduate students enrolled or planning to enroll at Kutztown University. Minimum GPA 3.0. Preference given to a piano student: major or minor in the music department.
- Department of Music Endowed Scholarship Established by music faculty members to provide scholarships to music majors who perform in ensembles, takes private lessons, and has earned a minimum 2.5 GPA.
- Dorothy S. Barbera String Scholarship Established by Aceste J. Barbera, professor emeritus of music, in loving memory of his wife, Dorothy S. Barbera, to provide scholarship assistance to a student who is an accomplished string instrumentalist, preferably a violinist.
- Earl L. Mayberry Music Scholarship Established in memory of Earl "Jim" Mayberry, a dedicated professor of music (1967-1984), by family and friends to recognize exemplary commitment and accomplishment by a student majoring in music or music education who has completed 12-20 credits. Preference will be given to a student who plays trombone.
- Edwin Schatkowski Music Scholarship Established by family and friends in celebration of the retirement of Dr. Edwin Schatkowski (former chairperson and professor of music) to recognize an outstanding student in the area of music performance.
Esther F. Smith Scholarship Established by Samuel P. Smith '43 (former president of Kutztown University Foundation) in memory of his mother, Esther F. Smith '13, to provide a scholarship to a music major, preferably a pianist.
- Gary and Laree Trollinger Scholarship for a Promising Music Educator Established by Laree Trollinger, former Kutztown University music professor, to provide a scholarship for a junior year Music Education major. Applicants must demonstrate exceptional academic achievement with overall GPA in music of 3.5, strong aptitude in a performing area, proficiency in piano, and a commitment to teaching in the schools after graduation.
- Martha L. Hafer Endowed Scholarship for Jazz Studies Established by Martha L. Hafer to provide scholarships for students performing in the University Jazz Ensemble.
Reid F. Lessig '72 Scholarship for Bands Given annually since 1994 by the Graduate Organization of Bands in memory of Reid F. Lessig '72, one of the founders and most active members of the G.O.B., to provide scholarships to current students who are members of the marching unit, concert band, or wind ensemble.
- R.G. Wells/Kutztown University Jazz Band Scholarship Established by Richard G. Wells, former director of the Kutztown University Jazz Band, to provide scholarship support for a sophomore or junior member of the Kutztown University Jazz Band.
- Rudolf and Flora M. Wertime Music Scholarship Established by Selma W. Thomson (emerita professor of music) in memory of Rudolf and Flora M. Wertime to provide scholarships to freshmen majoring in piano, voice, violin, viola, cello, flute, clarinet, oboe, or bassoon.
- Talent Grants are awarded to incoming freshmen music majors who demonstrate exceptional promise as evidenced through the admission process.
- Nelson ’64 and Kathryn ’64,’67 Schaeffer Marching Unit Scholarship Applicants must be pursuing a degree in the College of Education or enrolled in the BS Music Education track and must be a member of the KU Marching Unit. Recipients must have and maintain a 3.25 PGA and demonstrate financial need.