Bookmark and Share

Granting Permissions: Using Aid to Pay Miscellaneous Items and Alt Loans for Summer/Winter Sessions

Per federal regulations, students must GRANT permission to Kutztown University to use their Title IV aid, or Other Aid to pay off miscellaneous charges.  The steps to do this are below.   See below for the OTHER AID permission needed for the current PHEAA state grant delayed coverage.

Alternative Loans taken during the Fall or Spring terms can be used for Winter or Summer Sessions with ease by Granting the Permission of FUTURETERM.  This avoids getting a refund in the main term and then having to use that refund to pay the session charges.

The benefit to granting permissions for aid to be used to pay miscellaneous charges, is so that any aid a student does receive can pay any current charges due that are miscellaneous on the students account.  Not doing this, will mean the student will have to pay us independently for those charges and we cannot retain those aid amounts on the student's behalf.  This means that if a student has received a refund, they may still owe us funds, and could still have a hold on their account.

  • Miscellaneous charges include, but are not limited to: Limited Bookstore Accounts, Health Center charges for services, ID card replacements and more.
  • Both, Title IV and Other Aid, must be granted in order to participate in the Limited Bookstore Account program with Financial Aid.

Types of Permissions that can be granted:

  1. Title IV Aid - Includes but not limited to: Stafford Loans (Sub and Unsub), Pell Grants, Grad Plus loans.
  2. Other Aid - Includes but not limited to: PHEAA state grants
  3. FUTURETERM - This was created to allow Alternative Loans taken in Spring terms to pay summer sessions, or for Alternative Loans taken in Fall terms to pay winter session.  Granting this permission avoids the loan being refunded and then the student having to use the refund to pay summer or winter.  This is only for Alternative Loans.

Simple STEP-BY-STEP  instructions (screen shot assistance PDF)

  1. Log into MyKU - Student Center.
  2. Scroll down to Finances Section.
  3. Choose View Student Permissions from the drop down menu.
  4. Choose Grant Permissions.
  5. THREE permissions are available. (All can be granted but one must done at a time)
    a. OTHAID - Other Aid as listed above.
    b. TITLE_IV - Title IV aid as listed above.
    c. FUTURETERM - Alt loans in Fall/Spring for Winter/Summer Sessions.
  6. Choose the permission and click NEXT.
  7. Read the agreement and check the box - Click Submit.
  8. Acceptance will appear.  Click View Student Permissions.  You will see the one you processed and can click Grant Permissions to proceed again with the other permission.