Bookmark and Share


**We CANNOT give any tax advice, instruction, or suggestions of any kind.  Please refer your inquiries to your financial advisor or the IRS website for further clarifications.

2016 1098-T tax documents that were not retrieved online, were mailed.

Online Access - Students can log into Vangent/TRA (GDIT) to retrieve their 1098-T if they are due one.  See below as not all students are due a document.

Prior year tax forms remain online at the SAME site.  For additional information, how to access the items and general inquiries please see below.

Please Note: 

1. Not every student receives a 1098-T. 

  • If your Scholarships/Grants (Box 5) exceed your eligible charges (Box 2) a 1098-T is not required to be produced. 
  • We cannot supply tax advice, please direct tax questions to your financial advisor.

2. NEW this year! Account Activity is now printed on the back of the 1098-T to assist you.  This is taken directly from the students online account.  MyKU > Student Center > Finances Area > use the drop down menu and select Account Activity.  Once that opens - change the dates at the top to 01/01/2016 to 12/31/2016 - Go and View All.

1098-T Access Information & Steps - Click here for detailed steps with screen shots

  1. Launch a web browser and go to
  2. Click the "First Time Students" button.
    • Returning Students - Enter your User ID and Password.  Use the "Forgot your Password" or "Forgot your User ID" to retrieve and reset your login credentials.
  3. Enter your full First and Last names and the last five digits of your Social Security Number.
  4. Click submit.
  5. If records are present for you, you will be instructed to create an account.  Follow the instructions on the website to create a free account and retrieve your 1098-T.  If records are not found for you, or you have difficulty creating an account, use the "Help" link in the left menu.

General Questions:

What is the 1098-T form? (some links below pertain to prior tax years- feel free to check for updates).

The 1098-T Form is informational and should not be considered as tax advice. It serves to alert students that they may be eligible for federal income tax education credits such as the Lifetime Learning Credit and the American Opportunity Credit (previously the Hope Scholarship Credit) as part of their federal income tax return. IRS Publication 970, "Tax Benefits for Higher Education," as well as Chapter 35 of IRS Publication 17 (Your Federal Income Tax Guide for Individuals), provide additional information on these credits. While it is a good starting point, the 1098-T, as designed and regulated by the IRS, does not contain all of the information needed to claim a tax credit. To determine the exact amount of qualified tuition and expenses, a taxpayer should use their own financial records. There is no IRS requirement that you must claim the tuition and fees deduction or an education credit. Claiming education tax benefits is a voluntary decision for those who may qualify.

The 1098-T contains a combination of student personal data, such as name, address, Social Security Number (SSN), and institutionally provided enrollment data, such as status as a graduate or undergraduate student, along with whether the student was enrolled at least half-time during the calendar year.  The IRS will use this data to help determine who is eligible for the educational tax credits. 

1098-T's are not produced for everyone, review the appropriate page above to see if you qualify.  The most common reason one would not receive a 1098-T would be because the Scholarships/Grants (Box 5) exceed the Qualified Tuition and Related Expenses (Box 2).

What is a 1098-T form and why do I need it?

Tuition Statement, Form 1098-T, is the information return that colleges and universities are required to issue for the purpose of determining a student's eligibility for the American Opportunity Credit  or the Lifetime Learning Credit.

What does the 1098-T form look like?

A sample of the 2014 form is here.

Which Boxes should be filled in, and what do they mean?

Box 1: Not used by Kutztown University
Box 2: Amounts billed for qualified tuition and related expenses
Box 3: unchecked
Box 4: Adjustments made to a prior year's billed qualified tuition and related expenses
Box 5: Scholarships or Grants
Box 6: Adjustments made to a prior year's scholarships or grants
Box 7: Box is checked if the amount in Box 2 includes billed amounts for an academic period beginning January - March 2017.
Box 8: Box is checked if you are enrolled half time or greater
Box 9: Box is checked if you are a graduate student

Why isn't there an amount in Box 1?

Kutztown University changed their reporting method in 2011 to report amounts billed, not amounts paid against eligible charges.  Box 1 will no longer be used by Kutztown University effective reporting year 2011 and going forward.

What charges are included in Box 2, "qualified tuition and related expenses"?

Qualified tuition and related expenses are those that a student must pay that are within the IRS guidelines.  This is a brief chart of Qualified Expenses vs. Not-Qualified Expenses for your reference.

Qualified Expenses Not Qualified Expenses
Tuition Housing
Inst. Service Fee Meals
Inst. Tech Fee Flex
Rec. Center Fee Health Insurance (if required)
SGA Fee And Misc. Items such as:
Student Union Fee ID replacements
Deferment Fee Health Center Fees for visits and services
Health Center Fee Key Replacements
Transportation Fee Bear Bucks
Adv. Registration Fee Bookstore Accounts

I only have amounts in Box 4 adjustments and/or Box 6 adjustments, what does this mean?

Adjustment amounts reported in Box 4 and Box 6, may change any allowable education credit you may have claimed for a prior year.  We encourage you to seek the advice of a tax advisor for specific information concerning the handling of prior year adjustments.

What are the criteria set by the Internal Revenue Service for receiving a 1098-T form?

Institutions are not required to furnish a 1098-T when:

  • Student's scholarship or grants amount (Box 5) is greater than their qualified tuition and related expenses (Box 2)
  • Student's qualified tuition and related expenses are covered by a formal billing arrangement directly between KU and the student's employer or government entity.
  • A student took courses for which no academic credit is offered, even if the student is otherwise enrolled in a degree program.
  • Student is not a resident of the United States.  Forms can be provided upon request within 2 weeks.

Why isn't my prior spring registration included in the amounts bill on my 1098-T?

The 1098-T reflects amounts billed on your account in the calendar year.  Many students register for spring terms in November and December of the previous year; if you did so, your spring registration would have been reported on your 1098-T if you met the criteria above to receive one.  If you did not register for the spring term in the previous calendar year, it will not be included in the amounts billed (it would be picked up in the next years 1098-T Form).  You can see the date the charge was assessed in MyKU - Account Activity.

When will I receive my 1098-T form?

Federal regulations mandate these items be postmarked no later than January 31st to all eligible students with a valid Social Security number on file and an address in the United States.  Online access to this document may be available before that, directly with the third party vendor we are using.  Once this option becomes available steps will be posted on the main 1098-T page. 

Why didn't I receive a 1098-T form?

You will not receive a 1098-T form if you do not have a Social Security Number (SSN) on your student account.  You may receive a 1098-T after filing your SSN with the University. 

  • To file your SSN with the University please contact the Registrar's Office, 610-683-4485.  Notify the Office of Student Accounts if you do this.

You may not have received a 1098-T if you have moved and not changed your address in MyKU prior to mid-January.  To find out if we received a returned 1098-T for you, starting Feb. 14th, you can email us or call our office 610-683-4133.  You may also use the steps above to retrieve the document online with GDIT / Vangent, Inc.

You may not have received a 1098-T if your scholarship or grants (Box 5) exceed your eligible tuition and required expenses (Box 2).

Where are the 1098-T forms mailed from?

A third party vendor, General Dynamics Information Technology (GDIT - formerly Vangent Inc.).  These are not produced or mailed from Kutztown, PA.

How can I get a duplicate of my 1098-T?

Duplicate requests will be accepted starting Feb 14th.  Requests can be emailed from a KU email account to specifying the tax year for the duplicate.  Duplicates will be mailed to the address on file.  Duplicates and prior years are also available online with our third party (GDIT)- steps above.  Fax requests may be entertained if a Release from Liability 1098-T Fax Request (form not yet available) is completed by the student.  This can be dropped off, or faxed to us with the request.

Am I eligible for a tax credit?

To determine the correct amount, if any, to enter on your tax return, please consult your tax advisor, your personal expense records, and MyKU.  Employees of Kutztown University cannot offer assistance with tax form preparation.  Please do not contact the university for that purpose.

The responsibility for your individual tax circumstances rests with the taxpayer alone, and Kutztown University is not responsible for your interpretation of this information.  You are encouraged to refer to federal Publication 970 from the IRS.

Can my spouse or parent speak to someone in the Office of Student Accounts regarding my 1098-T form?

Due to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), only the student or those persons the student has authorized via the Consent to Disclose document, may contact the Office of Student Accounts for information or assistance regarding the 1098-T form.  To grant permission to another individual, please complete the Authorization for Access To Student Records form.  This form can be brought in, faxed in 610-683-4674, or scanned and emailed to