Bookmark and Share

SEVIS and Student Visa Requirements

Students coming to the U.S. to study will need a valid student visa to enter the U.S. Degree-seeking students will get an F-1 non-immigrant student visa. Short-term exchange students will get a J-1 non-immigrant student visa. International students are also required to register with the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP). The information on this page is here for a general reference. Requirements and regulations can change, so you should read and follow the instructions on the SEVIS website and the Department of State website prior to paying the SEVIS fee and applying for a visa.

Steps to get a student visa to study at Kutztown University:

1) Pay Advanced Registration Deposit (ARD). (Graduate students must confirm intent to enroll in MyKU.)

2) Complete the I-20 Application for F-1 students or DS-2019 Application for J-1 students and provide required documentation of ability to finance educational costs. (View required funding amounts)

3) Choose preferred document shipping method - express shipping or regular mail.

3) Receive I-20 (F-1) or DS-2019 (J-1) from Kutztown University.

4) Pay SEVIS I-901 fee.

5) Apply for student visa.

6) Attend Student Visa Information Session during New Student Orientation.

7) Know rules and regulations that affect your student visa status, which you can find at

SEVIS I-901 Fee Procedures

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) charges a fee of $200 for F-1 students and $180 for J-1 students to use the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). Before you apply for your first F-1 or J-1 student visa to gain entry into the United States, you must pay the SEVIS fee (Form I-901). This fee may be paid by the student or another person (friend or family). The SEVIS fee must be paid in U.S. dollars using one of the approved methods.

Please select your visa type below for payment options and procedures:

Student Visa Application Procedures

  • Contact your local U.S. Consulate or Embassy to ask how to apply for an F-1 or J-1 student visa.  View a list of U.S. embassies and consulates.

  • After you receive a Form I-20 (for F-1 students) or a DS-2019 (for J-1 exchange students) from Kutztown University, follow the U.S. Embassy/Consulate's instructions about how to apply for your student visa.  It is important to apply for your student visa as far in advance as possible since there may be a waiting period for an interview appointment.  Students cannot apply for your a visa more than 120 days before the program start date listed on the I-20/DS-2019 and they cannot travel to the U.S. more than 30 days before the program start date. Do not make any non-refundable travel plans until you receive your visa.

Please select your visa type below for specific information about what to bring to your interview:

Helpful Resources