Study Abroad Opportunities
There are many opportunities to study abroad, including faculty-led programs, exchanges, programs offered by other PASSHE institutions or other U.S. colleges and universities and through International Education Organizations. In some ways, the process of searching for and selecting a study abroad program is a lot like the college search process. Factors to consider include location, language proficiency requirements, time of year, costs, financial aid, and housing, to name a few. Review the information below to start researching possible study abroad programs. Attend an information session or visit the study abroad table to learn more about the process. Contact the International Office with any questions or if you are ready to begin the process to study abroad. The world awaits you!
Faculty-led programs (current offerings):
Summer 2016: Austria/Germany & Spain
Winter 2015-2016: England & Italy
Summer 2015: Austria/Germany & Spain
Winter 2014-2015: London, England & Oaxaca, Mexico
Summer 2014: Austria/Germany & Spain
Exchange programs offer students the chance to pay KU tuition & fees to KU and then to pay room & board to the host institution and to use their financial aid award, making it a very affordable study abroad option. KU currently has agreements in Denmark, Ecuador, Germany, and the Netherlands.
Many of the other PA State System of Higher Education (PASSHE) universities and colleges and universities across the U.S. offer study abroad programs. The cost varies among the institutions and students pay tuition, fees, and program costs to the institution providing the program. Students can use their financial aid for programs offered through other U.S. institutions. Students do not pay any tuition, fees, room, or meals to KU while participating in these programs. Below is a list of programs run by colleges and universities in the U.S. that KU students have utilized in the past.
- PASSHE Programs - Visit the PASSHE website to see summer study abroad course offerings and to be linked to other PASSHE study abroad office websites.
- College Consortium for International Studies (CCIS) - KU affiliate with programs in over 30 countries (Australia, England, Germany, Italy, Spain, and more!) offered by colleges and universities in the U.S.
- National Student Exchange (NSE) Study Abroad programs - More study abroad programs through U.S. colleges & universities that are a member of NSE; gives students more potential study abroad options.
- Arcadia University - Administers over 140 study abroad programs, including internships.
- Temple University - Study abroad sites in Rome, Tokyo, and Oviedo, Spain.
There are many International Education Organizations (IEO) that partner with colleges, universities, and educational institutions around the world to offer study abroad programs. These programs typically offer both an academic component and an itinerary of cultural excursions in the program fee. The programs are highly supported with staff "on the ground" at the host institution/study abroad site that are typically available 24/7 for student support & assistance. All programs have a basic program fee that students pay directly to the program provider. KU students do not pay any tuition, fees, room, or meal costs to KU for the semester they study through one of these programs.
Study Away Events
Study Abroad Fair
11/17, MSU 218, 11:00 - 1:00
Study Abroad Information Table
MSU Hallway, 11:00 - 1:00
9/22, 10/13, 10/27, 11/10