Honorary Degree Committee
Implements policy and procedures to invite outstanding individuals to serve as visiting professors. It also implements policy and procedures by which the university confers honorary degrees. Meetings: as needed. Terms: 2 years. Appointees: 5 of the 8 members.
Lorin Basden Arnold (Provost)
Michelle Savescu (APSCUF Representative)
Ashley Coombs (College of Education Representative)**
Necati Tekatli (College of Business Representative)**
Brooks Emerick, Chair (At-Large Faculty Representative)**
Jonathan Kremser (College of LAS Representative)**
Joseph Harasta (College of Visual & Performing Arts Representative)**
Laura Gahagan (Student Government Board Representative)
* Indefinite Term of Office
** Appointed by Committee on Committees
- Mission & Bylaws
September 24, 2021 at 3 p.m.
November 5, 2021 at 3 p.m.
Agenda & Minutes
Click here to view available archived minutes.
The honorary degree may be awarded to recognize distinguished contributions in the service to humanity, scholarship, government, business, creativity, science, or the community.
1. Nominations shall be accepted on a nomination form (see attached) from any member of the University community.
2. Nominations shall be sent to the chair of the Honorary Degree Committee by November 1.
3. The committee shall thoroughly evaluate each nominee in relationship to the approved guidelines (criteria). The name(s) of the selected candidate(s) shall be submitted to the Executive Committee of the University Senate.
4. Name(s) approved by the Senate Executive Committee shall be forwarded to the University President and announced to the University Senate at an appropriate time.
5. The University President shall submit the name(s) of the recommended candidate(s) to the Council of Trustees for approval and submission to the Board of Governors.
For more information please contact:
Union Committee Representative: To be considered for a committee union position please contact a union representative.