Types of Aid

Kutztown University offers a variety of types of aid. File the FAFSA to apply for all federal and state financial aid.

Federal Aid

Federal Pell Grant
The actual amount is determined by need. Must be working towards first bachelor's degree.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
The actual amount is determined by need. Must be working toward first bachelor's degree. Early filing is essential. Limited to students with exceptionally high financial need.

Federal Work Study
Actual amounts depend on need. On and off campus part-time job openings are listed on the Student Employment website. Hourly rate is at least minimum wage with an average 15-hour work week. FAFSA must be on file.

Federal Stafford Loan (Subsidized and Unsubsidized)*
The actual amount depends on need. Repayment begins six months after the student ceases half-time enrollment. Eligibility for a subsidized Stafford is based on need and features deferment of principal and interest. For an unsubsidized Stafford, the principal is deferred, but the student is responsible for the interest (either paid quarterly or capitalized). Annual loan maximums are $5,500 for 0-to-29.5 credits earned, $6,500 for 30-to-59.5 credits, and $7,500 for 60 or more credits. Independent undergrads and graduate students have greater limits. There is an overall maximum of $31,000 for dependent undergraduate students. There is a maximum of $20,500 per year base amount for graduate students.

Federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate Student (PLUS)*
Available to parents of dependent undergraduate students. Repayment of principal and interest begins six months after the student graduates or drops below half-time (six credits) if the parent contacts the lender to request the deferment. Annual maximum is cost of education minus other financial aid. If a parent is denied a PLUS loan, the dependent undergraduate student can borrow more in an unsubsidized Stafford Loan. The student must meet federal financial aid progress requirements in order for the PLUS loan to be certified by the Financial Aid Office.

*In accordance with U.S. Department of Education regulations (HEOA 489 amended HEA Sec.485B), Kutztown University and the Office of Financial Aid Services acknowledges to students and parents that when the student enters into an agreement regarding a Title IV(HEA) loan, i.e.: Direct Stafford Loan and Direct Parent PLUS Loan that the loan will be submitted to NSLDS (National Student Loan Data System) and accessible by authorized agencies, lenders, and institutions.

State Aid

PA State Grant
Awarded on basis of need. Must be a resident of Pennsylvania and working toward first bachelor's degree.

Fostering Independence Tuition Waiver Program

For students who have been in foster care, eligibility is based on waiver criteria. For students who meet the conditions of the waiver program but do not qualify because their federal and state grants exceed tuition and fees, Kutztown University is funding its own scholarship called the Fostering Independence Scholarship. Student must be full-time and maintain a 2.5 GPA at the end of each spring semester. (Entering freshmen must have a 2.5 high school GPA.) Renewable for a total of four years.

If you have been in foster care, these individuals serve as Kutztown University’s points of contact for help with financial aid as well as assistance with securing on-and off-campus resources:

Sarah Bricker, Assistant Director of Financial Aid Services - bricker@kutztown.edu 610-683-4216

Nadia Daher, Student Assistance Coordinator for Special Populations - daher@kutztown.edu 610-683-4169

Institutional Aid

University Scholarships
Most scholarships are awarded on the basis of academic achievement and financial need. Filing the FAFSA/Renewal FAFSA by the published deadline (February 15) is essential. Honors Program and some athletic scholarships are awarded based solely on individual criteria such as academic standing or athletic performance. Outside private scholarships provide additional options worth exploring.

Other Aid

Alternative Loans
Nonfederal loans for educational purposes can supplement federal/state aid or can be used when the student is ineligible for federal Stafford/PLUS loans due to insufficient financial aid progress, or having exhausted federal/state aid for the year. Please be sure to explore your eligibility for all federal and state financial aid options before requesting an alternative loan. Deferment of principal and interest may be an option. A creditworthy co-signer with a stable income and established residence is usually required. Some alternative loans offer a co-signer release from repayment responsibility after the student borrower makes a specific number of on-time payments. Please see our Lender Code of Conduct. View KU's recommended lender list for alternative loans at elmselect.com. Borrowers have the right to select any lender they choose. Recommended lenders have been selected based on competitive pricing, borrower benefits, and service to borrowers and to the school.

Special Programs & Aid Eligibility

Teacher Certification and Elementary/Secondary Counselor Certification
Post-baccalaureate students attending Kutztown University to receive teacher or elementary/secondary counselor certification from the state of Pennsylvania are eligible to apply for federal Stafford and alternative loans only.

Consortium Agreements
A KU student taking classes at another school may qualify for financial aid if the total enrollment is at least half-time and the other school agrees to participate.

Study Abroad
A student may receive aid for study outside the U.S. if the program is sponsored by Kutztown University or another United States institution of higher education that agrees to participate in a consortium agreement with KU. Credits earned at another institution must be pre-approved for transfer to Kutztown University.

Professional Credits Students
Professional Credits students, not yet fully accepted into a graduate degree program, are not eligible for federal student loans or other aid. A variety of private alternative loans are available to help cover educational expenses.

Lifelong Learning
Students enrolled in Lifelong Learning are not considered to be enrolled in a degree or certificate program and are, therefore, ineligible for federal and state aid. A variety of private alternative loans are available to help cover educational expenses.