Military Funding and Aid

Military Funding

The military supports its soldiers and families in many different ways with a variety of benefits. Below you will see the most common items we work with at Kutztown University.   Some allow us to defer the costs to wait for the funding to come directly to us while some funding goes to the student directly.

All students using any military education benefit funding must complete a VA Enrollment Certification Form and submit this to the Registrar's Office.  They will notify the Office of Student Accounts about the benefits you intend to use.  Student Accounts will then review to see what will actually be covered and what is due out of pocket.  This form must be completed EVERY semester.  Any course changes after submission, need to be shared with the Registrar's Office with urgency.

Checklist that may be helpful to ensure you have completed all that is necessary

*All students receiving military benefits must know it is their responsibility to make the choice of which benefit they want to use if they are entitled to many. In MOST cases, aid cannot exceed the full-time costs of tuition and fees at the in-state rate. Review your benefits directly with the military if you have questions or concerns.

  • Chapter 33 - Post 9/11 GI Bill®

    Chapter 33 benefit amounts are determined by active-duty time of the soldier and can range from 40 to 100 percent. A soldier can pass these benefits to dependents. A copy of the Certificate of Eligibility is required to defer any costs. Deferring the costs means we will wait for that portion of the bill to arrive from the VA for the tuition and fee costs only. Housing and Meals must be paid to KU by the appropriately assigned due date. While there is a benefit component with Chapter 33 for housing and books - these payments do go home and not to the University, therefore cannot be used for deferment. We can only defer what is paid to KU directly.


  • TA (Tuition Assistance) - Army

    This funding source requires classes be entered into the Go Army Ed portal by the student on a strict timeline. The bill must be uploaded as well including a Degree Plan (see the Registrar's Office KU Certifying Official for assistance). Once approved the student must print the "Army Tuition Assistance Authorization", sign it and supply it to the Office of Student Accounts by the due date. This benefit includes limits, and while a student has been awarded or approved for funding, the Authorization form is the only item that shows it will be released and able to be invoiced by KU. Benefits here must be submitted to AND approved BEFORE the first day of class.

  • Tuition Assistance (TA) - Air Force / Navy / Marines

    TA from the Air Force / Navy / Marines requires classes to be entered into their disciplined educational system, WAWF. The student prints the approved "Tuition Assistance Authorization" document, signs it and submits to the Office of Student Accounts BY the due date on the student tuition invoice in MyKU. This contains a number needed to invoice the Air Force / Navy / Marines.

  • Education Assistance Program (EAP) - National Guard (PA)

    Education Assistance Program (EAP) is another benefit a National Guard member may receive. The Office of Student Accounts will receive a roster of approved students about one month prior to the start of a semester or session. Late applicants may not be on the roster for some time. These will never exceed the tuition line item cost and could be less. Apply with your education unit by June 30 for the next Fall, Spring, and Summer (there is no Winter EAP benefit). Questions may be directed to the Director of Student Accounts. These are added as pending no sooner than August 1st for Fall semesters.

  • Chapter 31 - Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment

    Chapter 31 - Veteran's with Service-connected disabilities - The Office of Student Accounts is notified of the students eligible (by the Registrar's office) and those students are deferred for the tuition and fees. Students using this benefit are encouraged to contact the Office of Student Accounts as we will need the Form 1905 in order to bill your dedicated representative with the VA.

  • Chapter 1606 - Montgomery GI Bill® - Selected Reserve

    This is financial assistance some Reserve or Guard members may be entitled to.  This assistance is mailed home and therefore KU is unable to defer any of the costs/charges by these funding amounts.  While this benefit can be used simultaneously with TA, students cannot use both benefits for the same course.  They must select the course and the benefit for the course up front.

  • Chapter 35 - Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance

    This is financial assistance is for Veterans’ and Service-members’ dependents, spouses and surviving spouses who have been found eligible by the Regional Processing Office (RPO).  This assistance is mailed home and therefore KU is unable to defer any of the costs/charges by these funding amounts.

  • ROTC Scholarships

    These scholarships are awarded by the Army. The Office of Student Accounts is notified of these and they are added to the student's Financial Aid package and reported as a scholarship. The students have obligations to enter information and classes into Go Army Ed in order for the ROTC to approve and Kutztown University to certify.

Combining Benefits / Limits

Some of the military education benefits can be combined with a total limit, some can be combined with no limit, and others cannot be combined at all. We know this can be confusing, we try to make this easy, but if you have questions email us!

  • TA & Chapter 33 - combined these two benefits cannot exceed the full time instate costs (or the total costs at the in-state rate).
  • TA is limited to the tuition line item only and as of 17-18 year, cannot exceed 250 per credit hour (4,500 per year).
  • TA & 1606 cannot be used for the same course - you can use both in one semester, but must choose which course is using which benefit.
  • EAP is not limited to the item it can pay but is capped at the tuition line item amount or less (whichever is approved).
Changing your schedule?

If you change your schedule after submitting your TA Authorization Form or after your account has been certified in the Registrar's Office, you MUST update your enrollment with your TA supplier, AND update the Registrar's Office. Classes may have different costs, AND when grades are entered they are per course. This is critical and very important. Neither office will be checking this for you until its time to invoice, at that time it may be too late to correct your enrollment and you could lose out on your benefit for that class. You must self-disclose.

Military Aid

The military offers several programs that enable enlistees to earn and save money for college - The Montgomery G.I Bill®, Student Loan Repayment Program (SLRP), Education Assistance Program (EAP), signing bonuses and "kicker" programs. Because of career training, educational opportunities and benefits are different for each branch of the military, we suggest that you talk to a local recruiter about specifics for the branch of the military in which you are interested.


AmeriCorps is a national service program where participants earn education awards in return for community service. Workers receive stipends for living expenses and an education award for up to two years of full-time service. Students can work for AmeriCorps before, during, or after they go to college.

school compliance - title 38

As part of the Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018, effective August 1, 2019, Kutztown University agrees to the following obligations for “covered individuals” who are individuals entitled to educational assistance under chapter 31, Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment, or chapter 33, Post-9/11 GI Bill® Benefits.  These individuals (students) have obligations as well listed below.

Kutztown University Obligations under School Compliance

  • A covered individual will be permitted to attend or participate in the course of education during the period beginning on the date on which the individual provides to the educational institution a certificate of eligibility for entitlement to educational assistance under chapter 31 or 33 (a “certificate of eligibility” can also include a “Statement of Benefits” obtained from the Department of Veterans Affairs’ (VA) website e-Benefits, or a VAF 28-1905 form for chapter 31 authorization purposes) and ending on the earlier of the following dates: 
    • The date on which payment from VA is made to the institution.
    • 90 days after the date the institution certified tuition and fees following the receipt of the certificate of eligibility.
  • Late Payment fees and holds will not be added to the portion of the balance due that is covered under chapter 31 or 33.

Student Obligations under School Compliance

  1. Submit a certificate of eligibility for entitlement to education assistance no later than the first day of a course of education.
    • Submission sooner than later is encouraged to not delay any at-home payments that might be due and so that we are aware you are using said benefits to apply the item coverage above.
  2. Submit a written request to use such entitlement.
    • Completing the Veteran Services Enrollment Certification Request Form complies.
  3. Provide additional information necessary to the proper certification of enrollment by the educational institution.
    • Completing the Veteran Services Enrollment Certification Request Form complies.
  4. A late fee may be imposed on the amount that is the difference between the amount of the students’ financial obligation and the amount of the VA education benefit disbursement.

Military Scholarships and other Resources

"GI Bill®” is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).  More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

Explore More