Requirements for Enrollment into Upward Bound
Interested students and their parent/guardian should fill out an application to determine if they meet the eligibility guidelines for admittance to Upward Bound. Students interested in applying for Upward Bound at Kutztown University must meet the following qualifications*.
- Be in or entering 9-12th grade at William Allen High School (students may apply in the spring of 8th grade)
- Have a sincere desire to go to college and show a willingness to work toward that goal
- Participate in both the academic year and summer components of the program
- Be willing to commit to remaining in Upward Bound through the summer following high school graduation
- Be an individual neither of whose natural or adoptive parents received a baccalaureate degree; or a student who, prior to the age of 18, regularly resided with and received support from only one natural or adoptive parent and whose supporting parent did not receive a baccalaureate degree.
- Families must meet current U.S. Department of Education family income guidelines (low-income)
- Show need for academic support
*Number of students accepted is limited based on eligibility criterion. We highly encourage all students to apply and allow Upward Bound staff to determine each student's eligibility.
Applications can be picked up at the Upward Bound offices at William Allen High School or Kutztown University or downloaded from our resources page.