The Desk Receptionist (DR) works in a residence hall setting under the supervision of a Graduate Resident Director. The role of the DR is to provide excellent customer service and ensure safety and security for students living in the residence halls. The following are the basic expectations of a Desk Receptionist. Specific responsibilities and expectations vary slightly from area to area.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide desk coverage as scheduled when the residence halls remain open
- Provide friendly and professional customer service at all times
- Answer phones and respond to inquiries of residents and general public
- Assist residents who are locked out of their room, suite or apartment
- Sign games and equipment in and out
- Become familiar with surroundings and KU residents and guests
- Sign guests in and out of the halls Assist with the distribution of mail
- Be available to assist with Openings and Closings
- Serve as "essential personnel" as needed in times of emergency response (i.e. severe inclement weather)
- Complete and maintain paperwork as it relates to residence hall records and desk responsibilities
- Attend all Residence Life and hall specific staff meetings, in-service training sessions, and the spring and fall training programs in their entirety.
- Develop and maintain a close supportive working relationship with the Housing and Residence Life professional and student staff members
- Read and become familiar with administrative procedures and resources contained in the Desk Receptionist Manual, The Key, and the Housing License to serve as a resource to the University.
- Understand and enforce all University and Residence Life regulations and policies in a fair and consistent manner while working the desk
- Serve in the capacity of a mandatory reporter
- Encourage residents to accept responsibility for their actions. Remain in good academic and judicial standing with the University
- Uphold high standards and live in accordance with the policies outlined in the Desk Receptionist Job Description, The Key, the Housing License, Human Resource's Student Employment Policies, and the Desk Receptionist Manual. Failure to do so may result in job action including dismissal
- Other duties as assigned
- Enrollment as a full-time current KU undergraduate or graduate student at the time of application and throughout the recruitment and employment term
- Completed the Housing Application Process and paid the $75 Housing Application Fee for the Application Year
- Students must reside on campus during the employment term
- Maintenance of a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA at the time of application and throughout the recruitment and employment term
- Maintenance of good judicial standing with KU at the time of application and throughout the recruitment and employment period
- Past violations of KU Policy or the law may result in a candidate being removed from the selection process. Any individual currently on "Disciplinary Probation" is not eligible
- In good financial standing throughout and employment term
The Desk Receptionist compensation package includes:
- An hourly wage of $7.50. Desk Receptionists are paid on the Kutztown University student payroll schedule (every two weeks) during the days in which the student is contracted in the position.
- Contract length: one academic year. The Desk Receptionist contract begins in August and terminates at the close of finals in the Spring semester.
Should you have any questions concerning the application/selection process or interview time, date and location, please feel free to call 610-683-4027 or ask your Resident Director.