Kutztown Army ROTC
Kutztown University offers Military Science instruction in partnership with the host school Lehigh University. KU is a mini-host school also known as Bravo Company. Bravo Company includes Kutztown, Penn State Berks, Albright and Alvernia students who all attend classes and physical training at KU's campus. Army ROTC provides individuals with the tools, training, and experiences they need to become Officers in the U.S. Army.
Military Science (Army ROTC) is an elective curriculum taught by Army personnel. Students develop their leadership abilities by learning critical-thinking skills, the value of character, competence and courage, as well as self-discipline and team building.
Students are also challenged through participation in activities such as physical fitness, orienteering, small-unit tactics, marksmanship, and leadership reaction courses.
Additionally, ROTC Cadets are eligible to apply for scholarships that can cover the full cost of tuition and fees or room and board. Upon completion of a baccalaureate degree and all ROTC requirements, a student may receive a commission as a second lieutenant and will be eligible for assignment with the Active, National Guard, or Reserve Component of the U.S. Army.
Army ROTC is one of the Nation's top leadership programs, with a wide range of benefits. Through Army ROTC you can:
- Get help with your college tuition with an Army ROTC Scholarship
- Gain experience you can't find anywhere else
- Gain the respect of your peers and future employers
The Four-Year High School Scholarship is for high school students planning on attending a four-year college program.
There are two-year, three-year, or four-year scholarships available for those who have two to four academic years of college remaining.
The Green to Gold Active Duty Option Program is a two-year program that provides eligible, Active Duty enlisted Soldiers an opportunity to complete a baccalaureate degree or a two-year graduate degree and earn a commission as an Army Officer.
Scholarships are competitive. Contact Lehigh ROTC Coordinator for more information.
Simultaneous Membership Program (SMP) for National Guard/ Reserve Members
The Simultaneous Membership Program (SMP) allows you to attend Army ROTC and serve in the U.S. Army Reserve or Army National Guard at the same time. It gives you an opportunity for additional training and experience. Cadets serve as Officer trainees in the Reserve or National Guard while completing college. You can earn Reserve/Guard E-5 pay and benefits in addition to your Army ROTC allowances.
*** Lehigh University Student COVID Vaccine Requirement ***
All students participating in Lehigh University ROTC program are considered dual-enrolled and will receive a Lehigh Student ID card allowing students privileges on Lehigh campus (classrooms, fitness facility, health center, etc.)
Lehigh University Requirements
- All students attending Lehigh classes must be vaccinated
- This requirement extends to ROTC students attending classes at non-Lehigh University schools
- Students must submit verification of vaccination via the lehigh.studenthealthportal.com (*access granted after cross-registration)
- Vaccination verification must be complete before the semester starts
*Non-Lehigh University students must cross-register for class early enough to generate a student record and have access to the health portal.
- Submit Verification of Vaccination on the Lehigh Health and Wellness Center (HWC) health portal, including a copy of your COVID vaccination card, documentation of your full name, name of vaccine received, and the administration date for both doses.
- Request a medical or religious exemption from the student COVID vaccine requirement by following the directions on the HWC website.
- If you have extenuating circumstances that may prevent you from meeting the summer timeline for vaccination and would like to request an extension, contact the Health and Wellness Center by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to document an approved alternative timeline.
Bravo Company freshman and sophomores attend ROTC class at KU while juniors and seniors attend class and lab at Lehigh University's Mountaintop Campus in Bethlehem, PA.
Bravo Company students (freshman and sophomore) attend lecture on Tuesday mornings at KU campus, and *attend lab on Thursday afternoon at Lehigh University campus.
Physical Training (PT)
Is primarily held at KU campus for Bravo Company cadets- conducted in the morning, several times a week. On occasion, *PT will be held at Penn State Berks and Lehigh University.
*transportation is not provided when training (classes or PT) is held at other ROTC campuses. Students should coordinate transportation through ride share with other cadets or by using personal vehicle.
- Military Science courses are Lehigh University courses and students will use a cross-registration form to register for classes.
- Military Science courses are considered electives.
- Course credit is offered at most institutions.
- Course credit is determined by the class taken. You will know which course offers 1, 2 or 3 credits at the time of cross-registration (for non-KU students).
Events and Activities
Often described as the "varsity sport" of ROTC, the annual Ranger Challenge is a high-intensity, inter-school competition that includes testing military skills, and a myriad of other physical and team-oriented events.
Schools within the ROTC Brigade send teams comprised of some of their best cadets to vie for the Commander's Trophy at Fort Dix, NJ every Fall.
Participation on the team is open to male and female cadets. The training is fast-paced and rigorous, but provides a tremendous opportunity for personal growth, leadership development and camaraderie.
As a member of the Color Guard, you become a visible spokesperson for Army ROTC. The Color Guard performs formal drill and ceremony activities as part of University and community events. Members of the Color Guard present the United States flag before home football games along with other traditional presentations.
The Color Guard is optional to join and student run by an elected Color Sergeant, who is typically a junior.
Bravo Company ROTC Color Guard
Bravo Company ROTC Color Guard at KU Military Appreciation Football Game