How to Apply - Transfer Students

Students transferring from another institution, returning KU students who attended another institution after leaving KU, and second-degree students should follow the application instructions below. Returning KU students who did not attend another school since leaving KU should reapply for admissions through the Registrar's Office. Students who attended KU, then transferred to another institution, and are now interested in re-enrolling at KU should also work with the Registrar's Office.

Application Checklist

  • Application for admission and $35 fee
  • Final official high school transcript.  GED score reports must be sent directly from the Department of Education
  • Official SAT and/or ACT score report if you have completed fewer than 12 college-level credits
  • Official college transcripts directly from all institutions, current and previously attended  
  • Supplemental material if required (portfolio, audition, or PAPA/PRAXIS results)

Please send materials to Office of Undergraduate Admissions, P.O. Box 730, Kutztown, PA 19530 or send electronically to

  • Transcripts and Transfer Credit

    • Transcripts must be official and sent directly from the institution to Kutztown University's Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
    • Official transcripts must be sent to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at the end of each semester that coursework was attempted.
    • Transferable credits are only considered from schools that are regionally accredited by one or more of the below organizations. 
      • Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
      • North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
      • Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges
      • New England Association of Schools and Colleges
      • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
      • Western Association of Schools and Colleges
    • Transfer credits are considered for college-level courses passed with a 'C-' or higher that are comparable to KU courses (some programs may require a 'C' or higher for major courses and certain other courses).  Some courses passed with a D may transfer - See ACADEMIC PASSPORT.  Remedial and developmental courses are not transferable. 
    • KU does not have a maximum transfer credit limit and we will transfer as many credits as possible.  However, keep in mind that most KU degree programs are 120 credits and all undergraduate students must meet our Graduation Requirements to earn a KU degree. 
  • Credit Evaluations

    • Applicants can determine if and how courses transfer by using our transfer credit evaluation tool.  Schools and Courses not listed on our online tool are evaluated through the Registrar's Office following acceptance.
    • Applicants who are offered admissions can access their preliminary transfer credit report (TCR) through their myKU student portal.  Preliminary evaluations are updated following review by our Registrar's Office, and also when new coursework is submitted.
    • Transferable courses may or may not apply to your degree program.  The academic department determines how transferable credits apply to a degree program following acceptance.
    • Applicants can self-determine how their transferable credits may apply to their degree program by matching their transferable courses against the program check sheet for their academic major.  
    • All accepted students must maintain a minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA in all coursework completed and in-progress to maintain their offer of admission.  Some majors require students to maintain a higher GPA.
  • Military and DANTES (DSST) Transcripts
    DANTES (DSST) exams, military training, coursework, and specialty instruction can be reviewed for academic credit according to ACE guidelines. Submit official military transcript(s) to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Official military transcripts are evaluated through the Registrar's Office upon acceptance to the University.  Visit our Veterans Admissions web page for additional information.
  • Advanced Placement (AP) and CLEP

    Advanced Placement exam and CLEP scores can be reviewed for academic credit. AP and CLEP scores will not be taken from high school or college transcripts. An official score report must be sent from the College Board directly to the Office of Testing Services, Kutztown University, Room 201, Graduate Center, P.O. Box 730, Kutztown, PA 19530.  Scores of 3 or higher on some AP exams and scores passed at the 50th percentile for CLEP may be considered for credit at KU.  

  • Frequently Asked Questions
    Check out our FAQ section to find out if your GPA transfers, details about our 10-year rule, campus housing, and more!

Connect with us on Social Media!