DUE DATES: Spring 2020 applications due January 17, 2020. Summer 2020 applications due May 8, 2020, Fall 2020 applications due August 17, 2020.
The Department of Business Administration Internship Program is designed to enhance the student's formal academic education by providing an opportunity for the student to test skills and knowledge via exposure to an actual institutional or commercial enterprise. This supervised experience provides an arena for the practical integration of knowledge during the formal learning process as well as an opportunity to acquire experience and knowledge beyond that available within the confines of the existing curriculum. Students benefit both personally and professionally from the expanded perspectives provided by the professional supervisor and the guidance of the faculty supervisor in evaluating this learning experience. Internships are graded on a Pass/Fail basis.
Qualifying for an Internship for Credit
You may qualify for an internship if you:
- Have, or will have, 60 credits completed by the beginning of the term in which the internship will occur
- Have, or will have, a QPA of 2.0 or better in your major
- Have, or will have, an overall QPA of 2.0 or better
- You must complete at least 150 internship work hours and successfully complete the academic requirements
- Internships are graded on a pass/fail basis
- You may qualify for up to two-3 credit internships. The internship can only be with the same company if the job responsibilities are different from one another
Once you have accepted an internship position, you should:
Check to see if the organization is listed on the Internship Agreement Listing or on our Internship Bulletin Board outside DF 233. If the organization is not listed:
The employer must complete the Kutztown University Internship Agreement. The agreement must be typed online (do not hand-write), printed and signed by the employer and given to you to be submitted with the internship packet.
The employer must complete the Employer Confirmation Form. The agreement must be typed online (do not hand-write), printed and signed by the employer and given to you to be submitted with the internship packet.
Select your faculty supervisor. This is the person who will make sure your internship application packet is complete, work with you during your internship, set expectations for reporting on your internship, evaluate your submitted work and input the grade for your internship.
Completed Internship packets must include:
All items listed below must be attached to your internship packet before you submit to your faculty supervisor for approval:
- Internship Cover Sheet
- Internship Request form (please pick up in the DBA office, DF 233)
- Your current resume (resume help)
- Employer Confirmation Form
- Internship position description from your employer
- Kutztown University Internship Agreement (if needed)
- BUS 390: Internship Assessment form
You must review the information and application with your faculty internship supervisor. The internship supervisor signs off on the forms, verifying that the packet is complete. Submit completed and signed packets to the Department Office secretary, Kim Kilgus, in DF 233.
- The complete packet will be reviewed by the DBA Internship Committee, which must approve all for-credit internships. The internship will not count for credit without the committee approval. The Internship Committee Approval process includes two elements: Approving the internship position as appropriate for course credit, and approving the internship applicant as meeting the requirements of BUS 390. (Incomplete packets will be returned to your faculty supervisor.)
- After your internship has been reviewed by the Internship Committee, the Committee forwards it to the Department Chair and Assistant Dean of the College of Business for their approval.
- Kim Kilgus, DBA Secretary, will send you an email informing you whether or not the internship has been approved. Once the internship is approved, the Internship Request form is forwarded to the Registrar’s Office who will add the BUS 390 course to your schedule. You must complete any schedule adjustment changes (if necessary) after the internship has been added to your schedule.
Find an Internship
To find an internship, visit the Career Development Center KU Career Network.
Tuition and Fees
Credits for BUS 390, when added to student account:
Your invoice notification will direct you to MyKU to view your invoice and the due date for payment.
Please make sure you submit your entire application packet BY the due date. For more details, please visit student accounts.
For Summer Session Internships, per University policy:
“Students registering for these special types of instruction must comply with the registration deadline date for the session in which they are taking the course. The deadline is Wednesday of Week 1 of either Summer Session. Once the course is properly submitted and added to the student’s schedule, a bill will be generated and mailed to the student for payment of tuition”.