Resnet FAQs

Here you'll find the answers to some of the most commonly asked questions we receive regarding hardware, software, account information, TVs, Wi-Fi...

Explore Resnet FAQs Below

  • Am I eligible for other discounted software or hardware?

    Yes. KU students may purchase software and hardware at a discount at the KU Campus Store or through a program with Journey Ed.

  • Can I use a laptop in class?

    Classroom management rules can vary from class to class, so be sure to check with your faculty instructor.

  • Can I use my own wireless router?

    No. Routers create private networks that won't work when connected to the ResNet network. In addition, student-owned wireless routers can interfere with university-provided Wi-Fi service and degrade service to other students.

  • Do I have to use my KU email address?

    Absolutely! Official university communications, from administrators as well as your instructors, are sent to your KU email address.

  • Do I need a printer?

    It is convenient to have a printer in your residence hall room, but it's not a necessity unless you plan to do a lot of printing. There are public printers available around campus.

    If you do bring your own printer, please plan to connect it directly to your computer with a standard USB printer cable. Although your printer may support Wi-Fi printing in your home, it's most likely not designed to work on a large, enterprise Wi-Fi network like we have on campus. (More info...)

  • Does Kutztown University sell computers?

    The KU Campus Store does sell computers. Please contact the KU Campus Store for more information.

  • Does the ResNet help desk charge a fee?

    The ResNet help desk is a free service for students who live on campus.

    Off-campus students are allowed to contact ResNet for assistance with personal devices, but are required to pay a fee ($19.00/half-hour) and services are subject to some limitations.

  • How do I get a KU email address?

    You can start using your KU email address immediately after activating your account (see above). Your email address is your username (User ID) followed by (e.g.

  • How do I get a KU username and password?

    All students receive a unique KU username (User ID) shortly after applying to the university. Upon acceptance, the username is mailed to the student's home address.

    Once you know your username, activate your account by visiting and clicking the New applicant link. This process verifies your identity and lets you set up a password.

    The KU username/password combination is used to access all systems: MyKU, email, campus wired and Wi-Fi networks, Desire2Learn, student payroll, lab computers, etc.

  • How do I secure my laptop?

    • Never leave your laptop unattended in a public space.
    • It's a good idea to use a laptop cable/lock to physically secure it to a piece of furniture in your residence hall room.
    • To secure your data, set a screen saver that requires a password.

    Many laptops offer hard drive encryption for added data security. For added peace of mind, some students have purchased and installed LoJack for Laptops, which can allow police to locate computers that have been reported stolen.

  • How strong is the cellular phone service in the residence halls?

    It obviously varies depending on your carrier and device, but generally cellular service inside traditional-style residence halls isn't great unless you're near a window.

    In the Golden Bear Village apartment complexes, cellular service is generally good.

    Click here for further information...

  • Is Internet access included in the housing fee?

    Yes. Internet access (Wi-Fi and wired), cable television and land-line telephone service (with voicemail) within the residence halls are all included in the housing fee.

  • Is my TV compatible with the cable service, or do I need a box?

    Most TVs don't require any type of converter box to work with the cable service. You will need a standard coaxial cable to connect your TV to the jack in your room.

    To receive the full complement of 80+ channels, perform a channel/program scan on your TV to locate all available channels.

  • Is the ResNet help desk an authorized repair service center?

    No. ResNet won't perform any computer service that would jeopardize voiding an existing warranty.

  • Is Wi-Fi available in the residence halls?

    Yes. There are more than 1,000 access points providing Wi-Fi access throughout all residential buildings.

    The BearNet Secure Wi-Fi network is available in residential and non-residential buildings and offers a fully-encrypted connection. We strongly recommend that students use BearNet Secure on laptops, desktop computers, mobile phones,  and tablets.

    The ResNet WiFi open network is available only in residential buildings and should be used for smart TVs, game consoles, and any other device unable to connect to BearNet Secure.

  • Must I pay for printing?

    Not currently. Students are given a printing allocation of 300 pages per semester. If you happen to use up your allotment, you can request additional pages at no cost.

  • My device can't use Wi-Fi. Can I have a wired connection to the Internet?

    Yes. Students who have a Wi-Fi access point in their room can connect a wired device directly to the access point.

    Student rooms that don't have a Wi-Fi access point are equipped with wired network jacks (one per resident).

    Students need to provide their own Ethernet cable. Ethernet cables can be purchased from the ResNet helpdesk. ($5 for 10ft cable; $10 for 25ft cable)

  • What happens to my KU files and account when I leave KU

    Files on university-owned servers
    Any files that you have stored on university-owned servers will be removed within months after you leave. Therefore, if you wish to retain these files, please move them to a personal dropbox or external drive before you leave the university. You may also want to consider emailing files to yourself.

    Outlook student email account
    Your email address is yours to keep. Nine months after you graduate/leave KU, your account is converted from a normal student account to an alumni account, but your Outlook email address remains the same and will continue to work.

    Office Online
    Nine months after you graduate/leave KU, your account is converted from a normal student account to an alumni account. At that time, you will no longer be able to access any of the Office Online applications (other than Outlook Mail), so be sure to move any content you wish to keep to another source.

    Microsoft Office 365
    If you installed Microsoft Office 365 on your computer or other personal device, it will continue to work for nine months after you graduate/leave KU. After nine months your account is converted to an alumni account, and Office 365 will begin running in "read-only" mode. In other words, you can continue to use the Office 365 applications to open and read documents, but you won't be able to edit or create new documents unless/until you acquire a new Office 365 subscription, either personally or through your employer/school.

  • What if my computer gets infected with a virus?

    If your computer becomes infected with a virus or malware and you have trouble getting rid of it, you can take your computer to our ResNet help desk for assistance. ResNet help desk services are free to all students who reside on campus.

    Off-campus students are also able to take computers to our help desk, but there is a fee for that service.

    Occasionally our network monitoring devices will detect an infected/compromised device on the network. When this happens, the device is blocked from the Internet and the owner is notified in order to get the device cleaned/patched and back online as quickly as possible.

  • What kind of anti-virus should I have?

    It is the student's responsibility to keep his/her computer protected against viruses and updated with the last operating system patches. We don't require any specific anti-virus software, but make the following recommendations (all of which are FREE):

  • What kind of computer should I buy?

    There are no specific recommendations, so it's really a matter of personal preference. Most students bring either a MacBook or Windows laptop. A few students use Linux, but be aware that on-campus support for Linux systems is limited.

    We do see some desktop computers, but space in a residence hall room is generally at a premium so most opt for a portable computer. 

    If you don't have a personal preference, you may want to contact someone in the academic department of your intended major to see if they have any recommendation.

    Click here for more detailed information regarding recommended computers.

  • What software do I need?

    Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) is installed on all classroom and lab computers, so you'll probably want to install your own copy for compatibility.

    That being said, you don't have to purchase Microsoft Office. All Kutztown University students are given a subscription to Microsoft Office 365. The Office 365 subscription lets students download free copies of Microsoft Office on multiple devices -- up to 5 PCs or Macs, 5 tablets and 5 smartphones. 

    In addition, all KU students have access to free web-based versions of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote -- no installation required. Although these web-based versions don't have all the functionality of the full versions, they are adequate for most documents students need to create.

    Office 365 is a subscription-based service, which means versions of Microsoft Office students download and install on their personal devices will no longer function after the student graduates or leaves the university.

    If you decide to purchase a full version of Microsoft Office that you can use beyond your time at KU, be sure to check out the steeply-discounted student pricing available at the KU Campus Store.

  • Where can I get my computer repaired or serviced?

    Students who live on campus can take their computer to the ResNet help desk. ResNet staff will try to assist residents with any type of technical problem. Here is a summary of services provided...

    For issues ResNet staff aren't able to resolve, they will provide next-step advice to students.

  • Will Apple TV work in my room?

    Yes, Apple TV works on both the wired and wireless networks. Unless you're in Deatrick Hall, GBV South or University Place, you must register your Apple TV with ResNet before it will work.

    Click here for instructions on registering your Apple TV.

  • Will Google Chromecast work in my room?

    No. Chromecast is designed to work on a small home network where your TV and the controlling computer/tablet/phone are connected to a single wireless router. It's not designed to work on large, enterprise wireless networks and can't be supported.

  • Will my Amazon Echo/Alexa work in my room?

    Yes, Amazon Echo devices do work. Unless you're in Deatrick Hall, GBV South or University Place, you must register your Amazon Echo with ResNet before it will work.

    Click here for instructions on registering your Amazon Echo.