How does it work?
Bear Bucks acts just like a debit account, but with no danger of overdraft. You can deposit money using cash, check, or a credit/debit card, then simply swipe your card at any venue that accepts Bear Bucks.
How do I make a deposit into my Bear Bucks account?
- Log into your myKU account.
- Go to the “KU Financial Account” tile.
- Select “Payment Dashboard” from the side of the page. If you do not see a side bar, you may have to click the small maroon tab with two white lines on the side to open the sidebar.
- Once you select Payment Dashboard, a new window should open with your account on Cashnet
- Select “Make a Payment” from the sidebar of this page. If you do not see a side bar, you may need to click the three white lines in the top left corner to open the side bar.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and select “View Details” on the icon that has a photo of Avalanche and says “Bear Bucks: Enter the amount you want to buy in whole dollars”.
- Input the amount of money you would like to add to your account and select “Add to payment”.
- If you have ANY outstanding tuition balance, and you do not wish to pay it at this time, you MUST go to the top of the page where your tuition balance shows and click the small X on the right of the dollar amount.
- Check that the amount you are wishing to deposit at the top of the page reflects the correct amount. For example: 1 item $2 | Remaining due $1,500.00
- Select Continue at the bottom of the page which will take you to input your payment information.
- Select the payment method that you prefer to use OR you can add in a new payment method.
- Make sure to review and agree to the terms and conditions
- You must also then check the box to acknowledge the terms and conditions
- Review your information
- If everything looks correct, click on the “PAY” orange button at the bottom
Our office can also take cash and checks now for Bear Bucks Deposits!
Why should I use it instead of cash?
It's safe. When you're walking across campus after dark, do you want to carry cash? Your KU ID card, and therefore your Bear Bucks, is usable only by you. If you lose your card, you can suspend it online, making it unusable by anyone.
It's reloadable, 24/7. If you're running low in your account, students can just log into myKU to add more with a credit card or they may stop in our office to load their ID card with cash or check during normal business hours.
It's convenient. You might not always have your wallet with you, but because you use your card for meals, door access, library privileges, and pretty much everything else, chances are you'll have your card with you. And you probably won't have to dump out your bag to find it buried at the bottom with the small change.
But isn't Bear Bucks just for students?
No, it's not just for students. Faculty and staff can use Bear Bucks just as students do. Faculty and staff can visit the KU Card Office to make a deposit using cash and/or check OR they can now pay online via the Office of Student Accounts - the link for that page is here. It's that easy.
You can check your balance anytime, and see your transaction history online.
Where can I use Bear Bucks?
Bear Bucks is taken at many locations on and off-campus. Check the "On Campus Locations" and "Off Campus Locations" pages for a complete list or stop in our office and we'll provide you with a list you can take with you.
You cannot use Bear Bucks to purchase alcohol or tobacco products at any of our locations. You cannot withdrawal any money from your Bear Bucks account; it must be spent with your ID card.
Bear Bucks is your most flexible spending account, on or off-campus.
Follow us on Facebook (KU Card Office), Twitter and Instagram @KUCardOffice - for updates on all of these merchants and their specials, deals, etc.