Dr. Brenda Muzeta
Coordinator of the English as a Second Language (ESL) Program
ABOUT DR. BRENDA MUZETA
Dr. Brenda Muzeta is an assistant professor in secondary education at Kutztown University. Dr. Muzeta holds a Ph.D. in teacher education and curriculum studies from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst. She takes a broad interest in issues pertaining to language, culture, identity, social justice, and equity in education. Her research draws on the voices and experiences of English learners to better understand the sociocultural and sociopolitical contexts in which these students develop and grow.
- Ph.D. (Teacher Education with a concentration in English Language Learner Education) University of Massachusetts, Amherst.
- M.S. (Foreign Language Teaching and Instructional Technology) Southern Illinois University, Carbondale
- B.A. (French) Southern Illinois University, Carbondale
Muzeta, B., & Accurso, K., (forthcoming, 2021). Supporting racial literacy among teachers of multilingual learners through the REAL Talk book club. Chapter proposal for inclusion in: de Oliveira, L. C., Ferguson, T., & Johnson, K. (Eds.) Preparing antiracist educators: Efforts, resources, and initiatives.
Accurso, K., & Muzeta, B., (2020). Can Monolingual Language Teachers Be Effective? TESOL Connections.
Accurso, K., Muzeta, B., & Perez Battles, S. (2019). Reflective multiliteracies: Teaching meaning making across the visual and language arts. SPELT Quarterly Journal.
Accurso, K., Muzeta, B., & Perez Battles, S. (2019): Reflective multiliteracies: Teaching meaning making across the visual and language arts. AERA Featured Member Article.
Muzeta, B., Accurso, K., & Liaw, M. (2018). Teaching between languages: Five principles for the multilingual classroom. MATSOL Currents
REGULARLY TAUGHT COURSES:
- EDD 791 - Leader Scholar Communities I
- EDU 150CD - Meeting the Instructional Needs of English Language Learners
- EDU 326 - Introduction to Middle-Level Education
- EDU/MLS 434 - Instructional Methodology for English Learners
- EDU 437 - Protocols and Practices for PA ESL Programs
- SEU 312WICD - Principles of Learning
- SEU 313 - Principles of Learning Clinical Lab
- FYS 100 - First-Year Seminar