The Summer Talent Academy for Rising Stars (STARS) Program supports selected incoming freshmen and is designed to familiarize them with the rigor of KU’s academic experience. It includes mentorship, advisement, support, and social activities. The program is a five-week on-campus experience that provides two courses (six college-level credits). Highly motivated and engaged students will get the most from this college-readiness program.
The program includes:
- Completion of two college-level courses.
- Participation in student success and major exploration workshops.
- Engagement in social activities designed to build a support network of peers.
- Networking with professors, peer mentors, and student success coordinators.
- Residing in designated on-campus residence halls (students who wish to seek an exception to this on-campus residency requirement are required to apply for and be granted permission to commute daily to campus).
Benefits of STARS:
- Becoming familiar with the campus before the start of the semester.
- Connecting closely with other new students.
- Preparation for the work and studying that is required in college.
- Learning about the campus resources that foster student success.
- Ongoing meetings during the following academic semesters with program administrators and faculty to address questions, concerns, and opportunities.
- Higher persistence and retention rates than most students on campus.
STARS participants move in on Monday, July 6, 2020, and the program begins on Tuesday, July 7. The program concludes and students move out on Thursday, August 6, 2020.
Students will be selected for the program during the admissions process. Factors including high school GPA and SAT/ACT scores will be used to determine an invitation to the program.
Accepting the Offer to STARS
Your invitation to the STARS program must be confirmed by submission of a $275 Advanced Registration Deposit (ARD) to reserve your spot. Space in the program is on a first-come basis. The first 50 students to accept the offer by paying the ARD will be in the program. You must successfully complete the STARS program in order to enroll at KU for the Fall 2020 semester.
Completion of the Program
STARS program students who achieve a 'C' grade or better in both courses will be able to pursue their studies at Kutztown University in the next semester (Fall 2020). Students in the program who do not achieve a 'C' grade or better in both courses can pursue their studies at Kutztown University in the Spring 2021 semester if they attend their local community college and earn 12 or more college-level credits with a 2.0 or higher GPA. STARS students must remain in good disciplinary standing before, during, and after the program.
PA Residents: $3500 will cover tuition, fees, housing, meals, books, and social activities
Out-of-State Residents: $3603 will cover tuition, fees, housing, meals, books, and social activities
STARS students who qualify can use federal financial aid to pay for all or a portion of the program costs. STARS students who wish to use federal financial aid must submit their 2019-20 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) prior to June 1, 2020.
A representative from the KU Financial Aid Services Office has been assigned to help STARS students with financial aid questions at 610-683-4077. Please identify yourself as a STARS student when you call.