Student Complaint Process

Distance Education Complaint Process for Out-of-State Students

In compliance with U.S. Department of Education (USDOE) rules, an institution offering distance education must provide enrolled and prospective students with contact information for filing complaints with its accrediting agency and with the appropriate state agency for handling complaints in the student's state.

Kutztown University of Pennsylvania desires to resolve student grievances, complaints and concerns in an expeditious, fair, and amicable manner in accordance with University policies. If the complaint cannot be resolved through University channels, the student may go to one of Kutztown University of Pennsylvania's state approval and licensing entities: the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education, the Pennsylvania Department of Education, or Kutztown University of Pennsylvania's accreditor, the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.

Online students from outside of Pennsylvania who have exhausted all efforts to satisfactorily resolve a complaint in a timely manner through Kutztown University of Pennsylvania may seek further guidance from their home state as listed below.

Kutztown University online students having complaints related to grades or academic decisions should first follow the Grade Appeal policy.

State - Complain Process Information

Alabama (AL)-Complaints about out-of-state institutions are referred to as the Alabama Department of Postsecondary Education (ADPE) for a response. Please see the ADPE link below. For in-state institutions, contacts are posted to the ACHE website at

Alaska (AK)-The Alaska Commission on Postsecondary Education (ACPE) processes complaints alleging violations of state institutional authorization law relative to postsecondary institutions or programs in Alaska. The complaint investigation process is described in AS 14.48.130 and 20 AAC 17.130-145. Students are encouraged to pursue the complaint process at their institutions prior to contacting ACPE. To request a complaint form, please send an email to For questions or assistance relative to complaints please contact Jo Anne Hayden, Program Coordinator for Institutional Authorization (907-465-6741) or at Alaska Commission on Postsecondary Education, P.O. Box 110505, Juneau, AK 99811-0505.

Arizona (AZ)-

Arkansas (AR)-ADHE requires the certified institution to make a decision on the student grievance following the institution's public policy. Inquiries into student grievances must be limited to AHECB certified (under Arkansas Code ¤6-61-301) courses/degree programs and institutions and to matters related to the criteria for certification. Within 20 days of completing the institution's grievance procedures, the student may file the complaint in writing with the ICAC Coordinator, Arkansas Department of Higher Education, 114 East Capitol, Little Rock, AR 72201 (contact for information). The grievant must provide a statement from the institution verifying that the institution's appeal process has been followed. ADHE will notify the institution of the grievance within 15 days of the filing. Within 10 days after ADHE notification, the institution must submit a written response to ADHE. Other actions may be taken by ADHE as needed.

California (CA)-

Colorado (CO)-

Connecticut (CT)-For degree-granting institutions, students should contact the Office of Financial and Academic Affairs for Higher Education at 860-947-1822 for specific instructions.

Delaware (DE)-The Delaware Department of Education will investigate complaints. Such complaints must be in writing and verified by the signature of the person making the complaint. Oral, anonymous, or unsigned complaints will not be investigated. Until the website is functional, please write or call for more information. The Delaware Department of Education, Teacher and Administrator Quality, John W. Collette Resource Center, 35 Commerce Way, Dover, DE 19904. The Delaware Department of Education's phone number is 302-857-3388.

Washington, DC (DC)-

Florida (FL)-

Georgia (GA)-

Hawaii (HI)-An established consumer complaint process for students enrolled in public postsecondary institutions could not be located.

Idaho (ID)-Complaint process described in Admin Rule (July 1, 2011) ¤500. Forms and instructions available upon request from the State Coordinator for Private Colleges & Proprietary Schools. For more information, please contact the Office of the Idaho State Board of Education at 208-334-2270.

Illinois (IL)-Institutional Complaint Hotline: 217-557-7359. The Board receives a general information email at Students seeking to register a complaint about an institution are required to submit the complaint in writing. Complaint processing as relates to the maintenance of institutional approvals is described in 23 Illinois Administrative Rules ¤1030.70 and 1030.80.

Indiana (IN)-

Iowa (IA)-

Kansas (KS)-

Kentucky (KY)-

Louisana (LA)-For academic degree-granting institutions, Louisiana relies on the Consumer Affairs Division of the Attorney General's Office at 225-326-6200.

Maine (ME)-Complaints shall be addressed in writing to the Maine Department of Education, Office of Higher Education, Augusta, Maine, 04333, with specific facts and allegations and signed by the complainant. The school shall be notified of any complaints which are to be investigated.

Maryland (MD)-Kutztown University is currently in the process of Registering online programs with the Maryland Higher Education Commission. Refunds to Maryland students in online programs will be as required by COMAR 13B.05.01.10 Individuals who wish to submit a complaint may use the following contact information: Office of the Attorney General, Consumer Protection Division, 200 St. Paul Place, Baltimore, MD 21202. Please call 410-528-8662 or 888-743-0823 (toll-free).

Massachusetts (MA)-

Michigan (MI)-Complaints involving public university consumer protection violations may be directed to the Office of the Attorney General of the State of Michigan, Consumer Protection Division, P.O. Box 30213, Lansing, MI 48909-7713. Please see the website at,4601,7-154-89334_61343_35414_60647_2739---,00.html

Minnesota (MN)-

Mississippi (MS)-

Missouri (MO)-

Montana (MT)-

Nebraska (NE)-The policies regarding student complaints are listed on the Nebraska website with a notation that they are not final. The Coordinating Commission for Postsecondary Education (CCPE) intends to have a section on the website that walks students through the process; in the meanwhile, please call 402-471-0030. Please note that institutions offering courses or programs that are exclusively online are not required to seek authorization from CCPE. If students have complaints about such institutions, we refer them to the home state of the institution or the Nebraska Attorney General's Consumer Protection Division at

Nevada (NV)-

New Hampshire (NH)-

New Jersey (NJ)-An established consumer complaint process for students enrolled in public postsecondary institutions could not be located.

New Mexico (NM)-

New York (NY)-

North Carolina (NC)-

North Dakota (ND)-Complaints involving out-of-state institutions may be filed with the Office of Attorney General, Consumer Protection & Antitrust Division, Gateway Professional Center, 1050 East Interstate Ave. Ste. 200, Bismarck, ND 58503-5574, phone (701)328-5570, fax (701)328-5568.

Ohio (OH)-No established consumer complaint process for students enrolled in public postsecondary institutions could be found.

Oklahoma (OK)-Current and prospective student complaints are handled through the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education (OSRHE) Academic Affairs Office by reviewing the circumstances of the complaint and providing the individual with contact information for the most appropriate campus office with the authority to resolve the complaint. If the individual has exhausted the process for review and appeal at the institution and believes the complaint is unresolved, OSRHE staff requests permission to contact the institution on the student's behalf to identify any possible resolution. OSRHE staff remains in contact with the student to determine if the issue has been resolved or adequately addressed. Please call OSRHE at 405-225-9100 for more information.

Oregon (OR)-All complaints about schools under our regulatory jurisdiction or an exempt status approved by this office are handled by the Office of Degree Authorization (ODA) staff. Complaints about exempt schools are referred to the Attorney General's office. Please call ODA for more information at 541-687-7478.

Rhode Island (RI)-

South Carolina (SC)-

South Dakota (SD)-

Tenessee (TN)-

Texas (TX)-If the issue is not resolved through the University's complaint policy, students ma, send a written complaint to the Coordinating Board at Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, Academic Affairs and Research, P.O. Box 12788, Austin, TX 78711, The rules governing student complaints can be found in Title 19 of the Texas Administrative Code, Sections 1.1100-1.120.

Utah (UT)-

Vermont (VT)-We encourage you to work directly with your institution to satisfy complaints. In most cases, that is the only appropriate avenue for you to pursue. If you believe you have exhausted avenues listed above and those listed in the attached PDF and have a valid complaint about a violation, you may send it to the Vermont Department of Education in writing at 120 State Street, Montpilier, VT 05620-2501. All complaints should be specific in describing the nature of the complaint and relevant information: the name of the parties involved, including witnesses, dates, the policy or procedure violated (if known), the course/program, the name of the institution, and complete contact information. In addition, please include any supporting material that substantiates your complaint, including correspondence with the school about the issue. For more information, please see

Virginia (VA)-

Washington (WA)-Students may submit a formal complaint to the Washington Student Achievement Council, provided it is against an institution authorized by the Washington Student Achievement Council and is within one year of the last date of attendance. For more information, please contact the Washington Student Achievement Council at 360-753-7800.

West Virginia (WV)-

Wisconsin (WI)-

Wyoming (WY)-If the complaint involves an issue relative to authorization, the Wyoming Department of Education contacts the institution to ensure that the institution is compliant with Wyoming State law. For complaints not related to authorization, the complainant is encouraged to try to resolve the issue through their institution's formal grievance procedures. Depending on the nature of the complaint, the complainant may also be referred to the Consumer Protection Division of the Wyoming Attorney General's Office. Please contact the Wyoming Department of Education at 307-777-6210.