Review of Research
- The IRB shall review and have authority to approve, require modifications in (to secure approval), or disapprove all research activities covered by this policy, including exempt research activities under §46.104 for which limited IRB review is a condition of exemption.
- The IRB shall require that information given to subjects (or legally authorized representatives, when appropriate) as part of informed consent is in accordance with §46.116. The IRB may require that information, in addition to that specifically mentioned in §46.116, be given to the subjects when in the IRB's judgment the information would meaningfully add to the protection of the rights and welfare of subjects.
- The IRB shall require documentation of informed consent or may waive documentation in accordance with §46.117.
- The IRB shall notify investigators and the institution in writing of its decision to approve or disapprove the proposed research activity, or of modifications required to secure IRB approval of the research activity. If the IRB decides to disapprove a research activity, it shall include in its written notification a statement of the reasons for its decision and give the investigator an opportunity to respond in person or in writing.
- The IRB shall conduct continuing review of research requiring review by the IRB at intervals appropriate to the degree of risk, not less than once per year, unless an IRB determines otherwise that continuing review of research is not required.